Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get your take on Bore-Snakes. I think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Keeps my bores nice and shiney and can find no plastic fouling with just regular clean-ups of the gun.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I always thought they were pretty good until I saw 2 different guns with the Bore Snake stuck in the barrel. And I mean STUCK!!!. We had to replace the barrels.

I like the Tiko Tool from Silencio. Cleans and polishes in just a few strokes.

Thanks,
Lee

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hadaway. Funny you said that about the bore snake. I tried one and can't pull it through my barrel. I thought it was just me.

·
Premium Member
19,698 Posts
I've never owned or used a Bore Snake. Like Hadaway, I like the Tico tool. It will handle about 98% of the bore cleaning and oiling chores. On the rare occasion when a brush is needed on the bore, a simple 3 piece aluminum cleaning rod with a brush screwed on the end works just fine. I've never gotten any of these stuck. :wink:

·
Registered
161 Posts
fivemile said:
Hadaway. Funny you said that about the bore snake. I tried one and can't pull it through my barrel. I thought it was just me.
I had the same problem. Try this:

Allow the brass weight to fall through the barrel to the floor. Stand on the brass weight and pull the barrel upward with both hands until the snake goes through the barrel.

Much easier this way. I have 3 of them: 12ga, 28 ga, and .17 caliber. The first one I had was for the 28ga and I nearly pulled my fingers out of joint trying to yank that thing through that little barrel. Then I bought a .17HMR rifle and the woman that sold it to me tried to sell me a snake for it. I told her about the 28 and she gave me the above tip. I haven't had a problem since.

I have the Tico for 20ga and they are also fast. Either way, they are much better than assembling 3 rods, brush, patch, etc...

·
Registered
354 Posts
I know this has been hashed over in another topic/forum, but I can't resist adding my tuppence:

Once you make just one pass with a Bore Snake - or the Tiko Tool, for that matter - you've got a crud-impregnated piece of cloth on your hands. I don't run dirty patches through my bore; why would I want to run a dirty cloth "mop" through it?

A guy at my club has some 5x5" pieces of cloth he places over the end of his Tiko before running it through. That would be a little better, but it still allows crud to build up on the exposed parts of the tool.

Someone countered, "Well, it just gets dirty on the first third of the tool; You're still running 2/3rds of a clean tool through your bore." Yes, but you're also still running a length of cruddy cloth through.

As someone else said, I can throw away patches after I've used them once. And I don't have to wash my patches out between cleanings. The same can't be said for these tools.

-- Sam

·
Registered
155 Posts
Budd L: Mine is 28 ga. also. Thought about what you suggested, but with my luck the string would break. Think I will stick with the Tico.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts