Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Winchester Super X Model 1 from a shooter at the local gun club. I am very new at this, so I will do my best to describe in detail the gun and price. Would like any and all comments regarding the gun and the price I paid. Thanks in advance. Bare with me if I mess up on the description.

1979 Super X Model 1
2 barrells 30" New Trap with Briley Chokes and 26" Skeet
2 Stocks both Pigeon Grade Trap and skeet
Briley choke tool and set of 3 other chokes
all new stainless gas mech
3lb competition trigger

Everything is flawless or new on the gun , Paid $1200

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Just for my own use and means, even assuming it has a stage 3 trigger (aluminum), and it might be hard to replace all you got for that, and a new trap could bring $1000, it is still a little high for me unless you sell off some of the stuff you don't need.

But, I look at it differently than most, so you can discount some of what I say.

IMO, someone screwed up a perfect trap barrel with chokes, the skeet barrels are bringing $225 and up on Ebay though. The trap barrel will likely bring that as well, up to $300 without chokes, if I/M possibly more.

Trap set of wood can bring $200+ on Ebay, skeet almost as much.

How good the trigger is remains to be seen, I hope someone did it right and it is good to go for 100K rounds, 3 pounds is too light IMO.

So now, I assume with all this the PO has had a new style buffer installed, hopefully a steel follower and new bolt return spring?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
OK, Prime Time ,

I hope that TT has convinced you that an original trap barrel is really better for you than that messed-up Brileyized one . He is probably right --- most times he is .

I happen to have a trap barrel that I might be willing to swap you for that messed up one -- send me a "pm" and we can discuss it .

I think that , considering the opportunity to unload one-side or the other of your shooting disciplines , you can recover a nice chunk of change ---- or if you really like shooting skeet and trap you are in a good place to start ---- swapping stocks is a bit of a pain though . Buy another receiver and have another gun . Wanna buy a receiver ? ? how about a nickel plated one or a plain one or a scrolled one ?

Lots of opportunities ; you done good ! !

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a similar vintage Super X-1 with the two fixed choke barrels ("full" for trap and "skeet" for skeet). I really enjoy the gun...and it does well for me (it's all about the shooter, you know!). I'm not acustomed to all the moving parts (I use by BT-99 alot more) so cleaning is a bit of a pain...but all in all, it's been a terrific shotgun.

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
I agree with Driller! One of the dumbest things I ever did was NOT buy a very nice used one with a MOD barrel on it at a gun show for the meer sum of $399! :cry:

Oh well!

BP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.