Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ah yes....the Roper revolving shotgun...yeah I have heard of it, and have seen a few pictures, but I do not have alot of info on it.

It was patented in 1866 by Sylvester Roper of Amherst, Massachusetts. The 4-shot repeater was built by Roper in Amherst until 1867 production then moved to Hartford and production continued from 1869 thru 1876. Although production figures are unkown, it appears that it has certain rarity. It appears to have had a fragile action resulting in malfuntions during hard use. The Roper revolving shotgun was the first repeating shotgun. I personally have only heard of them chambered in 12 ga. and 16 ga., however other gauges may certainly have been available.

Roper himself was quite an inventor and a builder of steam motorcycles and automobiles. In 1868 Roper patented the first removable choke system, though this design faded into obscurity along with his revolving shotgun. Roper died in 1896 while demonstrating one of his cycles. That motorcycle resides in the Smithsonian.

Here is a picture from my website of the Roper Action:

·
Registered
2 Posts
YES I ALSO HAVE ONE OF THESE ROPER REPEATING SHOTGUNS
THAT I WOULD MAYBE OFFER FOR SALE
IT IS STAMPED
ROPER REPEATING RIFLE CO.
AMHERST. MASS.
PATENTED APRIL 10, 1866

SO IF ANYONE CAN ALSO GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT TO COLLECTORS THAT MY BE INTERESTED PLEASE E-MAIL

THANK-YOU, DEBRA

[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.