Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can you find ruffed grouse in the Rocky's? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
SidexSide: I obviously don't know what section of the Rocky Mountains you are thinking of, but I can tell you where we find them here in the Rocky Mts of Western Montana.

I live on the floor of a valley with the Bitterroot Mountains about 1/2 mile to the west. Elevation of valley floor is about 3600'. We hunt up the various drainages that flow out of the Bitterroots up to about 6500'. Above that you begin to find the Blue and Franklin Grouse. The wetter and denser the cover -- the better it is for grouse. The grouse around here like aspen mixed w/ conifers and lots of berry bushes. Typical flushing distance is from 5 feet to 10 yards. I use a 20 or 28 ga with cyl tube in 1st barrel & skeet in 2nd one. #8 Target loads work just fine. Good luck to you. "Grizzly"

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I grew up in Oregon and when we were looking for Ruffs we went looking for the newest stands of aspen we could find. I've also read that the Ruffs population cycles on Aspen buds.

Find new Aspen stands and you'll find Ruffs. Also you can check out the folks at http://www.ruffedgrousesociety.org and they've got a ton of info on fool hens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts