Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
I would like to help ya there but it is kinda hard to buy one since they are not out yet. I have never seen one except for on there site. Maybe Amy from Ozark could let us in on what she knows about the release date. They look like a great guns but until they are available to us and not just the magazines I can't give much info.

G

·
I got to fire one at a sports fair at the ruger booth and they are SWEET I want one so badly but I need a new waterfowl gun but when they come out and I have the money I am definetly buying one

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a Ruger Gold Label (after waiting over 8 months) and received it the 3rd of July. Shot it first on the 5th: nice handling gun, if fact the first thing I shot was a round of trap, which is not my game, and ran all 25! I shot it some more the same day at sheet and 5-stand and liked the gun, although it does kick like any sub-seven pound gun will. On the 9th of July, less than a week later, I shot a 100 shells at a sporting clays course and did reasonably well with an 87. Things were looking pretty good for a long, happy relationship in the field behind a good dog looking for upland game birds until I took the gun home to clean it and the left choke came out with the patch! The thin-wall Briley had one whole side striped away: gone! Only about 2/3 of the cylinder remained with jagged edges all along the length. The choke was an IC, and I only shot Federal Gold Medal, 1 oz of 8's through the gun, so no weirdness with heavy loads or steel shot, even though Ruger claims that you can shoot steel through the more open chokes. The end of the barrel was bulged as a result of the damage to the choke as well, so the gun was unsafe to shot at this point, not that I would anyway. There was never any indication when I was shooting the gun that anything was wrong: no misfires, no extra loud reports, no sign of heavy recoil, nothing so I don't thing that there was a wad stuck in the barrels or anything: just a faulty gun.

So I send the gun back to Ruger and they receive it on the 18th of July. I called them Friday, the 12th of August to see what was going on and they said that they would call back on Monday, which they did. They told me that they hope to have the gun repaired in about six weeks! That's ELEVEN weeks total, IF they do indeed get the gun repaired within the quoted next six weeks! I asked that they send me a new gun but they refused, saying that the gun was still "serviceable". This means that I miss the dove season, not to mention most of the fall hunting season in general with my "new" Ruger.

Anyone want to buy a Gold Label? I should be able to ship it in a couple of months or so……

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Yes, I will buy it. I'll give you $1,000.00. IM me as soon as you get it back. :D

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
Again, another very happy Ruger shotgun owner! Doesn't seem like the Gold Label is going to be a lot different than the infamous Red Label, now does it? There's that OUTSTANDING customer service again too! Sorry about your shotgun, but I could have told you....... :cry:

BP

·
Registered
784 Posts
Burnt Powder said:
Again, another very happy Ruger shotgun owner! Doesn't seem like the Gold Label is going to be a lot different than the infamous Red Label, now does it? There's that OUTSTANDING customer service again too! Sorry about your shotgun, but I could have told you....... :cry:

BP
I believe I saw on another version of this same thread that someone mentioned about a member of their club that had the same thing occur on a "B" gun, and they have been waiting a year now to get it back. I guess they run a different standard of expectation on those, or they are just too embarrased to let it be know that they spent that much and that happened.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, it IS defective, now, but supposedly Ruger is going to make it all better. At least it shouldn't be any more defective than any other Gold Label. . .

I have owned and still own quite a few Rugers: they have always given great value for the money, everything from Vaqueros to M77's to Mark II's. Essentially all have them have been rugged and dependable firearms. This is the first shotgun I have bought from Ruger. I passed on the Red Label because the 3 that I shot all kicked like mules; no fun at all! I've been a SxS guy ever since my first Stevens 311 that I bought used in 1964 for $35. My brother still owns and shoots that gun, although not often. It has never failed to go "bang". I would not own one today, in spite of that record as it handles like a log, but I would think that Ruger could have sold me a gun that would stand up to more than 250 rounds. When it didn't shoot for more than a week I would have expected Ruger to ship me out a replacement gun ASAP. When they told me that it would take 11 weeks or more to repair it I got mad, wouldn't you?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I believe I saw on another version of this same thread that someone mentioned about a member of their club that had the same thing occur on a "B" gun, and they have been waiting a year now to get it back. I guess they run a different standard of expectation on those, or they are just too embarrased to let it be know that they spent that much and that happened.
What is a "B" gun? Beretta? Bernardelli? Bertuzzi? Browning?

Sorry, but I would like to know what companies have a hard time standing behind their products. It seems like there is a declining base of customers as fewer and fewer people hunt and it is becoming more and more of a hassle to aquire guns. It seems like the people who manufacture guns would be anxious to provide reasonable customer care and adequate warranties. My gun was in as new condition; it seems like Ruger could have replaced my gun now and rebuilt it for either a demo gun or sold as a refurbished unit. I run a small business myself and would quickly go out of business if I didn't provide good customer service before and after a sale.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Willie,

Have you spoken with anyone in Ruger's management or just with the line staff about the time frame to the season opener? I wonder if that would make a difference or hopefully they will be sending it out sooner.

By the way I still have one of those 311's that I did a bit of slimming and cutdown the barrel to a nice 26" threaded with screw-in choke tubes and refinished to a real nice matte. Handles a lot nicer than it did years ago and perform pretty well. Have way too much into it than it's worth, but it means more to me than what someone would give for it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thomas,

I should push the upper management at Ruger harder; that's a good suggestion. I have not been able to get past the people that answer the phone, so I guess that I'll have to write snail mail as I can't find any e-mail addresses for them. The e-mail would probably go to the same people anyway. Perhaps a letter to Bill Jr. would be more effective.

The modified Stevens 311 sounds pretty sweet. It should make a good upland bird gun that you aren't afraid to take into the field.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Just a suggestion, try telephoning again and asking to speak to someone in management. When you are referred to a supervisor, ask to speak with that person's manager. When you get high enough on the food chain decisions become easier.

Also have a small business and as you know with small business it's easier to reach the decision makers.

That modified Stevens is pretty nice. I do take it out occasionally. The barrels are pretty thin at the tubes and they are threaded for the thin wall double lead Truchokes. Have a set of eight and it gives me more combinations than I have time to come up with. The old gunsmith who did the work for me did an excellent job and I am really happy with it.

·
Premium Member
3,299 Posts
Wagon Willie, I don't think the SEVEN posts you made complaining about the exact same thing are enough. Can you post some more so that ALL of Shotgunworld can read about your experience, whether they want to or not. :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Wagon Willie: I would encourage you to call customer service at Ruger, then after explaining your situation, ask the name and phone number of that person's supervisor. Get transferred to the supervisor. Repeat the process, again getting the name of the next person up in the chain of command.

Repeat this all the way to the top...or as far as you can go...or until you get the resolution to your problem that you want. But...remain polite but firm, don't lose your cool, but don't back down from demanding a more timely resolution to your problem.

If an employee won't give you the name of a supervisor, or can't/won't transfer you, then you may need to fall back on snail mail. Be sure to have the name and position of the employee who wouldn't pass you up the line or solve your problem. Include that information in your letter and how you felt. It wouldn't hurt to include the name(s) of all the employees at the company to whom you spoke. It won't hurt to compliment any who were particularly nice/helpful and understanding. Honey catches more flies than vinegar. (I work in customer relations, in a way, for my employer. What I've outlined works.)

Finally, keep us informed.

One last thing...Ruger reps do hang out on the Ruger forum. You may want to post there, as well, about your experiences with Ruger and the Gold Label.

Best of luck! (Or...I sure hope your luck improves!)
hunter20ga

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hunter20ga, thanks for the advice, it sounds like a great way to go. The hard part will be maintaining my cool, but I believe it can be done.

I did post in the Ruger forum and one of the moderators admonished me for multiple posts, but I wanted to spread the word.

I'll let you know what happens.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.