Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't seen any comments, opinions regarding Ruger's Red Label O/U's. I can't afford a Citori, Franchi, etc. so I'm considering the Ruger. Anyone use a Red label O/U, if so please comment..thanks!!
BZ

G

·
:D I just bought one, a 28/28 but have to wait 10 days here in Kali.It fit me perfect and sweeps well.I went to Turners here in San Diego and got it for$899 :shock: I couldn't pass that up. I bring her home next Monday, Can't wait. I also think Rugers are underrated,check the drop and comb and you'll see there pretty close to others.Besides all my guns are American made. The Stainless steel looks great and so does the american walnut stock. I just don't see spending big bucks on a gun that "looks" good. Fit,Price and Practice I say.Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a friend who has one of the very first sold. It is, of course, a 20, and has fixed full chokes. One day my old Fox broke at the beginning of a club sporting clays relay, so he lent his Ruger to me. The comb felt too high, lop to short, and the course needed only skeet to IC chokes---pretty fast and close doubles---and I won the relay with a 24!! Yeah, I like Red Labels! Chuck

G

·
By all means, if you are going to spend this much money, go and try and see how it feels. Borrow a shooter if needed. I have 2 Red Labels: a 28 ga and a Woodside 12 ga. Both could use a little help with the fit, but they shoot just fine. Geo.

G

·
I was also looking for a red label I recently went to a local gun shop which turns out didn't have one, but the guy there was telling me that the Ruger will beat you up more than any other O/U because of the stock design it has the most felt recoil. Has anyone found this to be true? It didn't make any sense to me!

G

·
A friend has a 28 gauge that I have shot extensively. My daughter uses it to shoot sporting clays and even killed her first pheasant with it. He put a recoil reducer in the stock--not sure a 28 needs one but it has it. I love that little gun and enjoy shooting sporting clays with it on his course. He tells me that the first o\u he had experience with was a 12 gauge Red Label and after about 10 shots he set it down and proclaimed that if o\u's beat you up like this one--he would never own an o\u (Has 7 or 8 of them now). That was about 5 years ago. he still does not have a Red Label any bigger than 28 ga. but does have some Remington, Browning, Winchester o/u's that he loves to shoot. He is a big proponent of back boring and porting. The back boring I agree with but not sure about porting. If it is done incorrectly it causes more problems. Recoil has never been a factor with me and I have never noticed missing any birds (live or clay) because of the barrell "jumping around." I think the Red Label is one fine shotgun and am looking for a reasonably priced one to go with my Verona and Browning o\u's.

G

·
I've been shooting a Ruger Red Label 20 gauge (28" barrel) regularly for a couple of years (lots of shells). Ruger has made good on any repair and with the right loads, recoil is nill. Shot the 28 gauge, WOW what a gun! Just picked up the 12 gauge Sporting with 30" barrel. Front heavy and big, fast loads will beat you up. Added $4 in nickels to the stock (ie two rolls fit up the thighting hole of your stock to the receiver) The extra pound balanced the gun and makes all the difference in the world as to recoil. Ruger's butt pad can be replaced with an softer pad making the gun a little more forgiving. For the money, you can't beat the Ruger. If you've got the $$$, Browning 525 Sporting Clays, Gold :wink: .
I've also shot 410 and 28 tubes in the 20 gauge. Sweet!

G

·
I have seen this same question on many web sites. My answer is buy a ruger red Label whether you can only afford $1,000 or can spend as much as $10,000.
I have two Ruger O/U's (30" sporting clay versions). The only thing i did was buy the Briley extended choke set. Guys that own Berretas and Browning love to shoot my Rugers. One recently bought a new berreta for $1,800 and told me he would have rather bought a Red Label after shooting both of my guns. I paid $1,055 and $1,064 for mine (at different times and at diffeent shops). The fit and finish is excellent.

Just remember, all you need is a functioning O/U to break targets. Fancy engraving does not help your lead or trigger pull. If you have tons of money, then go buy a Kriegoff or Peraizzi. But, if you want a functional O/U that will last a lifetime and shoot just as well if not better than a Berrata, buy a Ruger Red Label 30" sporting clay. And, if you want engraving, Ruger now sells a version for an extra 4100 or so.

G

·
ive had a Ruger red label 20 gauge 28 inch barrel for over a year know or so maybe two but it is a great shotgun i go grouse hunting with it and shoot clays the recoil isnt bad even with high base shells although the magnum shells have alot of kick to them but the gun works great its perfect for hunting and clays

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw one of these yesterday and all I can say is, "Whoa Mama!" What a sweet gun. It is lovely to look at, and a dream to hold. Some guns just feel right and this is one of them. I hope to be able to shoot it next week... then I will know a bit more, but if first impressions are any indication, I'm in love! 8)

G

·
I've got a skeet shooting friend that has one and I've shot it one round and went straight (which isn't all that common for me). The only drawback is the automatic safety when you break it open. I personally like a shotgun that does not go to safety automatically. I guess you can get used to it but it drives me nuts. Besides that, the best quality gun for the money. Try different guns for fit. You will find that different guns will fit differently due to drop of the comb, etc. A simple way is to close your eyes and shoulder the gun- then open you eyes and see if you are looking down the barrel. If not, fit needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This link has some interesting input on the Red Label recoil question. I have shot a 12 gauge Red Label with target loads and didn't experience any recoil/discomfort problems myself, but I wasn't shooting hundreds of rounds, either. I did find the gun to be heavy in the front, and my left arm (support) got tired far more rapidly than my right shoulder. The owner of the gun reprts that it hits him in the cheek, but he considers it a fine field gun anyway. Personally, I like the gun and am seriously considering getting one myself.

http://www.sportingclays.net/forums/thr ... essages=29

·
Registered
12 Posts
Of all the O/U shotguns that I have handled, this one seems to fit me best. I LOVE the way it breaks open; I am sure that some of the others get better with use, but the Ruger has that "broken in" feeling, kinda like difference between worn, faded jeans, and the dark blue stiff ones (how's that for an analogy?). For the money, I haven't seen any better looking wood or finish in general. I also like the fact that it comes with a non-engraved stainless receiver; just a personal thing, but I like the cleaner look rather than fancy.

My 12 gauge 28" clay/hunting Red Label is in, and I am seriously thinking about picking up a used 20 gauge 26" at the local gun shop...seems like it would be a great grouse/pheasant gun.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I own an 12 GA Ruger that I use for waterfowl hunting. I had to lengthen the stock , I'm 6'3", and yes compared to my other O/U guns it does have more felt recoil. Most Rugers are stocked for hunting not for a long day of clay shooting. If you look at the angle of the butt plate to the line of the barrel you will find it is much greater then with most other O/U guns. This works great for hunting guns but can be a bit brutal with either heavy hunting loads or a long day at the range. I will not ever shoot heavy 3 inch Bismuth shells again from mine, not that the gun can't take it but my shoulder can't.

I also own a old non-stainless Red Label 20 ga with fixed chokes skt/skt. This gun flat out kills rabbits and will make quail vaporize ! The gun is so quick on birds I have to count in my head to 5 before I shoot so I don't smoke the bird. I had two hunts where I did not and all that dropped from the sky was the wings and some feathers. The balance of the birds were gone :shock: :shock: .

I have not shot a Ruger Clays version or set one next to a feild gun to compare stocks. For a hunting gun and general clay bird shooting and skeet, the Ruger is a perfect gun. But for heavy Sporting clays use or trap you should look at a different gun or look at restocking one for a more target style stock. Both of my Rugers are older guns. My 12 is an early Stainless reciever model and the 20 is blue with fixed chokes. At that time Ruger put GREAT wood on these guns. Very high quality walnut with lots of figure. I have heard the newer guns are not as nice, but have not seen one to compare.

APEXDUCK

G

·
the beretta whitewing is only $1050 and one hell of a gun for the money. I dont know what the ruger goes for but it cant be much less than this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Beretta certainly gets good reviews. Cost as compared to the Ruger is about the same. The Beretta is lighter, considerably so in 12 gauge, which would probably make it nicer for long hunts. While it may have the edge there, perhaps the Ruger would have the edge if it was a dual purpose hunting/clay gun...

As far as aesthetics go, I really like the plain stainless receiver of the Ruger and the satin finish of the wood. From the pictures I have seen, it looks like the Beretta has a more glossy finish and a lightly engraved receiver..again, that is a personal preference -- I am sure the Beretta is an excellent gun...

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you're just looking for "plain" stainless receivers, check out the Winchester Supreme Select Sporting. It has the name of the gun (tastefully) engraved on the side, but other than that is nekkid. Nice gun, right in the same price range as the others, too: I got mine for $1090. It's a Beretta-based locking design, built by FN in Belgium.

I believe the field model is blued, though...

-- Sam

G

·
I have a 12 ga 28" that I shoot trap with; I've had it for 13 years (it has the red rubber butt pad and the old-style choke tubes). In those 13 years, it has over 30,000 rounds through it - mostly 1 oz loads for 16 yard, but a few thousand 1-1/8 oz ***-kickers for handicap. Never a problem with it; swab out the barrels after the shoot, and give it a tear-down cleaning once a year.

By the way, nobody has mentioned that skeet shooters who have a tube set for their Berettas, Perazzis, Kolars, etc. usually have to pay a few hundred bucks extra for mechanical triggers, since the 28 ga & .410 recoil won't reset the trigger; the Red Label has 'em already. And, if you don't like the auto safety, the factory will disable it for you - I think it's free, except for shipping.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have been shooting rugers since the early 90's. I own three and have a 28ga in the mail as I write this. I think they are the best gun for the money out there. The service and warranty are the best in the business. Example---I sent my Sporting Clays in to have it checked over because it had about 80-100 thousand rounds shot through it. When I got it back it looked like a new gun. New firing pins, locking lug, springs etc. They also reblued the whole thing. I had it back in three weeks.
They did not charge me one cent. Try that with Beretta.
If you want a gun that works and a company that stands behind what they build, go Ruger.
Avery53

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I've got the Ruger 12ga. Sporting Clays model with 30" barrels and love it! I shoot Sporting Clays/5-stand/Skeet and use it for bird hunting. Its a great gun for the money. For Dove hunting I use a heavy load, in return it has more recoil. I've had the barrels Pro-Ported by Mag-port. That was money well spent! I shoot my reloads, Light to heavy with on problems. Factory ammo shoots good too. I'm in the market for a 20ga. O/U, I've been looking at all makes and Ruger is still on the top of my list. It has that good fit and fill to it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.