Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks...

I have learned a great deal on this forum, but one thing I haven't really heard much about is a Ruger Red Label. Does anyone have one? If so, what style (length, stock, gauge)?

I'm pretty new to trap shooting, and kinda have the hots for a Red Label. Just love the look of it!

-elber

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just last week, a kid at my local shooting club and his dad were shooting. Dad was shooting a silver pigeon and his son had a 20 ga ruger red label. It looked to me that it shot very well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies folks!

Amy from Ozark - I figured that they would be pretty hot sellers, especially to folks new to the sport (like myself) who don't want to invest deeply at first, but still want a quality O/U.

I have been seeing some posts that boast a reputation of "kicks like a mule", but some folks don't seem to think so...

What do all of y'all think?

-elber

·
Registered
354 Posts
elber said:
I have been seeing some posts that boast a reputation of "kicks like a mule", but some folks don't seem to think so...

What do all of y'all think?

-elber
My opinion, but: A 12 gauge gun is a 12 gauge gun. It can only kick with as much energy as the shell expends. If you're getting hurt by your gun you need to address how you're holding it, how it fits, etc. Yes, a gas operated semi will kick somewhat less due to absorbtion of some of the recoil, but even that reduction is somewhat overrated.

I've shot a Red Label and didn't find it kicked any more than any other 12 ga. They're fine guns and should be considered of the same level of quality as most other $800-1200 guns. Plus Ruger is a great company to deal with (I own 4 - all non shotguns).

-- Sam

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The Red Label 28g is one of the trimmest stackbarrels I have ever swung, and at half the price of those that come close in that gauge.

G

·
Stay away from the stainless steel with synthetic stock. I had one for 6 months and got rid of it. It does kick like a mule. It's just to light to shoot 50 - 100 rounds at a time

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Everyone - Thanks again for all of the replies!

I wanted to ask why the synthetic w/stainless would kick more than the walnut/blue gun? Were you using high power loads?

At this point, I am also interested in a Beretta Silver Pigeon II, but not sure that I want to spend the extra $700. Basically, I am interested in a nice O/U, but since I'm still getting into the sport, I'm not looking for an heirloom just yet...

Any suggestions on other nice O/U's for someone that doesn't want to break the bank (yet...). In the $1k - $1500 range?

-elber

·
Registered
520 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with the Ruger but it is not as refined as the higher dollar guns. I have a Red Label 12ga that is 15+ years old now and hunt ducks and geese with it every season. I shoot 2 3/4" shells and the recoil is fine. With 3 inch loads or Bismuth loads it does start to rattle your fillings. For a starter OU it's a great gun and will last forever. Shoot 1 oz loads and it will be fine. If you get real serious then step up to the $1500 range guns.

I can say this about the Red label, Ruger normally has nice wood on their guns. The synthetic stock is going to be lighter then wood and thus hit you harder. Also all Ruger stocks have a significant angle to the butt making them great field guns but it doe increase the felt recoil. I forget the technical term but the angel of the butt is less then 90 deg to the line of the bore. Most guns are this way but every Ruger is siginificantly more angeled then other guns which I think is why they seem to hit harder.

good luck

APEXDUCK

G

·
I think there were several problems with that contribuited to the felt recoil of the ruger red label stainless.

1. The stock is hollow and is very light. I took it to a couple smiths and inqired about a mecury reducer their reply was there isn't any way to mount the reducer.

2. The gun didn't fit me, Iam 6 feet tall with long arms & neck

I was shooting light 2-3/4 ounce and one eighth loads. The first 25 weren't too bad. But by the time I was done with the next 25 I would have a splitting headache.

It's too bad we can't try before we buy. Sometimes we have to learn things the hard way. Its was a pretty gun and would have been fine for hunting. But thats not what I bought it for.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for your continued responses!

I had a chance to shoot a Red Label over the weekend at a local club. A guy that was shooting trap with me had one, and offered to trade for a round (for my rental gun!).

It did NOT kick like a mule. In fact, it hardly kicked any more than the Beretta 390 that I was shooting. It was a 26" barrel, and I missed a lot with it, but the shooting experience was positive.

The only thing I didn't like was that the spent shells popped out over my head when I opened it. Also, the recoil pad was a bit sharp on the edges (which could be fixed easily).

Overall, I liked it (a lot :D )...

-elber

1 - 12 of 12 Posts