Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying my first shotgun (other than a Remington 870 youth model) and can't decide between the Ruger Red Label the Brownig Citori and the Weatherby Orion. My dad has had his Brownin Citori since 1981 and one of my uncles has had his Weatherby for several years. I have a cousin who owns and likes a Ruger Red Label. They all love there guns. I have a limit of about $1500-$1700. Also if you like any other over and unders or side by sides in this price range i'd be happy to hear about them. THANKS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I own the Weatherby Orion Upland 12guage 28bbl. I really like it its a very well balanced that doesnt kick to hard even with duck loads. I find it swings very fast so you can get on your game & take it out.
I used it for trap for 2 months to break it in & get use to the gun & it was flawless firing 1500 rds through it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just bought a Browning Citori White Lightning in 12Ga. with 28" barrels. I've wanted a Citori since I first got a Browning catalog 25 years ago, so I'm probably a little biased. It has been just what I had hoped for in fit and finish and most importantly, I can really hit with it! Everyone wants to feel they got their money's worth in the purchase, and that's the way I feel with mine. I hope you do as well, and enjoy it as much, whatever you get.

Pat

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think the heavier Rugers(like 12ga, 20ga) don't have the same feel as the Brownings or Weatherbys. When I first picked one up, it seemed like it was more dead weight, like a pump or semi. I've never really had much to do with the Weatherbys, I think they're similar to an SKB, and must be good quality. I would say the Browning would be the best bet, as everyone in my area has one, and there aren't many complaints, except if they miss alot of birds. :lol:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have shot all 3 o/u that you are talking about, and me myself would go with the Browning (I own one) I love the gun, and the craftsmanship is outstanding. Browning makes a hell of a good product,(as do the others) I just prfer the Citoris!! It will long outlive me! and not to beat a dead horse, but get the one that feels the best!!!! just my 2cents!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I would go with a beretta.they are the best field and entry level competition guns on the market.if you want a serious competition gun go with a perazzi,but they are quite abit out of you price range....For now
www.berettausa.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have shot them all, and worked on them all. Browning would be my choice. The other two are OK, but will not stand up to the Browning or a Beretta. [email protected] R&D Custom Barrel

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i own two weatherby bbl. athena and grade2. owned for ten years. 30000 rounds as a recreational shhoter just had cleaned by a gun smith , perfect shape. My hunt club has weatherbys as rentals for ten years 80000 rounds and still kicking . the best over under for the money for an individual getting into over unders base models 950$. higher grades the berrettas andbrownings are the way to go. one benefit of the rugers lifetime guarentee on guns. new sisd by side 12 ***** 6.5 pounds. for the money the weatherby athena 3 is a great gun and nice wood and engraving. if you want the best get a kreigoff. good luck!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have owned a SKB(same as WBY)---several Rugers and a Beretta 687 SPII---they're all gone now.

What do I own now?? 2 Browning Citori's----nothing better in that price range---period.

·
Registered
970 Posts
go w/ the ruger red label or the citori i know alot of people will argue with this (winders :wink: ) but they are about the same quality i prefer the red label because i think ruger makes great everything (not that browning doesnt) and ruger is made in the U.S. and it just seems to fit me. go see what fits but my big choice would be between those 2 I would also look at berettas and feel that they are superior to both browning and ruger so if ur gonna look at berettas too then i would rank them

beretta
ruger
browning

but go with fit first! fit is everything and u will find shooting more enjoyable and u will break more clays. jmho

Aaron

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
The Browning Citori, any model, are clearly a better made gun than the Ruger Red Label. This is extremely obvious to anyone that compares the guns unless they have a bias.

I hear and read of problems with the Red Label all the time. This is not true of the Browning Citori line. Considering how many more Browning Citori shotguns are out there by comparison, the soundness of the Red Label is even more suspect.

If you want a quality O/U, get a Browning, a Beretta, or even an SKB/Weatherby. I would strongly recommend avoiding the Ruger Red Label.

Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup---the Red Label comes no where near the Citori in quality.

Maybe a trip to the eye Dr. is in order???

Or else put the crack pipe down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya---I had one of those "great" Red Labels----thing started falling apart before I even shot it---literally.

The worst $1000 POS out there---luckily I got all my money back----which was prompty put down on a new Browning.

I'll NEVER own another JUNK Red Label----and a Gold Label is out of the question too----dream on Ruger---just keep on pumping that garbage out and some fool will buy just cause its American made.

Looked over 6 new ones last weekend---EVERY one of them had the rattley rib---what a hunk of JUNK!!!

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
What would you be using the gun for? There is quite a bit difference in the field grade guns v. trap/skeet/clays. After you test for gun fit, I would go with a Browning/Berretta/SKB, in that order

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:lol: just had a weatherby into a certified dealer. 10 year old gun was covered by the warranty. A great gun for the money. still recomend kreigoffs for the ultimate clays gun.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts