Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remington 870 with some shallow rust pitting (left side of picture). will re-bluing be able to cover this up or any other suggestions would be appreciated
Automotive lighting Liquid Hood Water Automotive tire
Automotive lighting Liquid Hood Water Automotive tire

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Rebluing doesn't cover pitting. It would need to be sanded enough to remove the pits, THEN reblued, but that should be doable. However, you're probably looking at 200-300 bucks.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I would imagine that most gunsmiths would (or should) polish those shallow pits out before re-bluing. I had an old Win M12 shooter re-blued and, without having to say anything to the smith, he polished the blemishes off of it before re-bluing.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Are you considering rebluing this 870 or just wondering what can be done? The gun should work just fine and it was designed to be a tool, not a showpiece. I’ve seen people improve things to the point of disaster. I’m just saying be careful so you don’t buy damage.
Good luck either way.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
If you are just going for protection of the finish, then a cerakote finish will do that and for less $s than a proper polish/reblue.

However, as It0026 has indicated, it will not get any worse if you keep it properly covered with a good oil after each use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts