Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
I agree with Chaco1 - know your gun, it's linitations and yours. Any wild pheasant that finds itself in the center of your pattern of 6, 5 or 4 shot, whether commercial or re-load is a dead bird. Here are three from Friday using 12ga 4 and 6 re-loads. I will try a 20ga single shot with #6 tomorrow and see how it goes. Not a gun I use often but occasionally like the challenge of no second shot.

· Registered
287 Posts
I think all dogs can hunt and I think all shotguns can take wild pheasant. The trick is to have the bird in the pattern and don't bother with long shots. I have a little single shot 20 that I haven't used since I was a kid. Took that out today, along with my Dad's Ithaca auto 12 and my own Winchester pump 12. Used donated reload 4 in the auto and 6 in the pump. Used commercial 6 in the 20. When a bird keeps flying, it's most likely because we totally miss. Anything in the pattern at 30-35 yards is a dead bird. Here's the results. One shooter, 3 guns, 3 roosters. I have hunted most game (big and small) that Canada has to offer. For me there is nothing more enjoyable than wild pheasants. I don't bother with anything else now (old age I suppose). Regards, Jack

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.