Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to keep it short and to the point without getting off track.

I'm starting and trying to compile info on taking a lifetime pheasant hunt to some part of the U.S.. Living in S.E. Penna. here is certainly not it. The state of PA may or may not be doing their best as far as a put and take situation when it comes to pheasants but, I just have to make the best of what I have.

I have made a decision this small game season to hunt exclusivly with a 20 gauge. I'm having a pretty good season so far with a couple of birds and rabbits and a bunch of squirrels. I have (2) 20. Wingmasters I've owned for years (fixed full & fixed modified). These guns have taken a backseat for years because in my mind I thought a 12 ga. was the only true way to hunt and shoot targets. I was thinking of getting a Browning or Beretta 20 ga. O/U to hunt and shoot targets with and thought if I hunted a season or two and shot targets with what I have it may help me base my decision on buying a quality 20 ga. O/U.

In true bird country do you guys recommend a 20 gauge? Your birds (heck of a way to put it) have to be tougher than what I may have experienced here. I know you handicap yourself with shell selections when you shoot a 20 gauge. I've had to order some stuff from my local gun shop just to get quality factory ammo in 20 gauge I wanted.

I would plan on shooting and bringing 20 ga. Remington Long Range Express, Nitro Pheasant Loads and Buffered Nitro Magnums in 2 3/4" #'s 4, 5, & 6 shot. I know it's not all about the gun and ammo, I'll have to do my part and am looking forward to it. I'm planning to bring both 12 & 20 ga. O/U for a trip like this.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Sorry, I guess I didn't keep anything too short or to the point as intended.

· Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will not be for this year. I would like for it to be early in the '08 season. All I know is you guys are in the pheasant capital and I need that one time experience in my lifetime. I'm going to compile info from the chamber of commerce of areas out that way, inernet sources, guides, whatever it takes. I would like to take the drive on out. To fly would be quicker, I'd like the road experience that time of year.

· Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Let's get a few facts out on the table.
1). I am not new to shooting.
2). I am not on here to claim that I'm any Mr. Crack Shot, Mr. Joe Upland, or Man Mountain Dean that wants to treat pheasant hunting half heartedly with a 20 gauge in the pheasant capital of the U.S. just to say I was hunting there with a sub-gauge.
3). Posted thread to get 20 gauge opinions.
4). I've started shooting my 20 ga. again for something different and have been giving some serious thought about buying a 20 ga. decent O/U to hunt and shoot s/c with. I'm trying to convince myself that the 20 ga. has enough killing power with the loads I've been shooting. The first (2) turkeys I killed was with one of these 20 gauges. I really don't have to convince myself of anything. Maybe more like justify. I certainly would be bringing a 12 gauge also.
5). I'm a pretty decent trapshooter(no state champ), love shooting s/c but don't get to shoot them on a regular basis like I do trapshooting.
6). Have been successful over the years hunting deer, turkeys, rabbits, squirrels, grouse and pheasants here in Pennsylvania. As previously mentioned I do not live in or near a pheasant meca. A put and take situation for pheasants.
7). Only looking for the experience of a lifetime pheasant hunt. Not trying to overstep, take advantage or incroach on any local mid-westerners and your resources.
8). As for squirrel hunting with a shotgun vs. .22, when leaves are on(some of which are still on) to me it makes more sense to hunt this way. Late season or 2nd season might make more sense(squirrel only) to use a .22LR. The use of a shotgun during small game to me is more senseable because of not handicaping myself at a shot at a rabbit, squirrel or bird.
9). Thanks for the post and info provided so far.

· Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Guys, I greatly appreciate all of the responses. I didn't mean to open a can of worms but, I'm finding this to be very educational for me. I will pattern some 3" loads in the new 20 gauge when I get it. Now I'm limited to 2 3/4" in these older Wingmasters.

Speaking of Wingmasters, I recently ran across an older 20 gauge Wingmaster with a fixed modified on a plain barrel(non-rib), not a LW or light contour, with 3" magnum reciever in damn good shape. When did Remington stop the production of plain barrel with fixed chokes? When did they start 20 ga. Wingmasters Magnum recievers? Is $260 a pretty good price?

Still getting the 20 gauge O/U regardless if I go back and look at this gun again or let it pass. Bore was pretty damn dirty, I'll have to look close to see if it's been shooting steel shot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.