Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have quite a bit of land and have just started shooting clays, my question is how far is a 12 gauge deadly. So say after 200 yards can anyone get hurt or has the shot ran out of steam and is falling to the ground or is it much farther than that?? Any help you can give me on this would be great, Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
NRA Range Guidelinesa. Shotgun ranges, basic: 1. Shotfall zone: 300 yard radius, with a 600 yard base. 2. The shotfall zone will be set back a minimum of 100 yards from every lot line. http://www.loudounersforgunsafety.org/Range%20Guidelines.htm Edited by: cD Tanthalas at: 8/8/02 9:50:34 pm

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
While dove hunting I've been showered with pellets from a gun a little less than two hundred yards. Dram was probably around 3 and it felt like rain drops. I guess the only danger would be if it landed in your eye.Shooting in a straight line I would imagine the pellets would never reach you. I'll have to do some checking .thanks,Jay G. Shotgunworld.com

·
Registered
228 Posts
Some interesting info I found on some military site..quote-Round balls have a much smaller ballistic coefficient than pointed bullets and therefore the range of shot fired from shotguns is much smaller than the rifle bullets. The Ordnance Technical Manual 9-1990 gives the following distances for shot when fired in full choke shotguns: No. 00 Buckshot, 600 yds.; No. 8 shot, 230 yds.;and No. 9 shot, 210 yds. This manual also gives a formula called "Journee's Formula" for determining the approximate maximum ranges for shotguns. This formula states that the maximum range, in yards, is roughly 2200 times the shot diameter, in inches.Hmm, ok. So maximum range for 7 1/2 shot is 209 yards.. Good to know. dont want to accidentally shoot anyone while blasting clay targets...Happy shooting, have a "blast"Chad_E

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.