Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been posting on multiple forums in search of info on this old Sauer & Sohn SXS 16g. It’s in really good condition for an old weapon but I’m still in unsure of what year it was made, who made it, where it was made etc. If anyone can help me out with any info they have it would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!
Wood Rectangle Bumper Automotive tire Gas
Helmet Bumper Bicycle part Automotive exterior Rim
Metal Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory Leather Armour
Brown Wood Natural material Tints and shades Metal
Land vehicle Tire Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Grey Synthetic rubber
Road surface Asphalt Flooring Floor Wood

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Modell XIV made @ end of WWI & prior to 1923. Best tube steel available @ time being Krupp 3 Ringe Weapons steel. Upper overhanging & lower intercepting scears. Not a better platform out there.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

·
Registered
19 Posts
I thought the model model 14’s had scalloped receivers……this looks like it might be a model 11.
Serial number reflect manufacturing date of 1912.
Appears to be an extractor gun- 21/2” chambers. Probably right around 6 # ? If it has the longer barrels ( ~ 29 5/8”) you will find it to be a wonderful pointing, lively and superb quality bird gun!!!
If you want to sell it, please let me know!
TVTYD

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Serial nummer will point to an issue date of Circa 1912 but the proof marks point to a Post WWI - 1923 date. I thought your request was for info but it seems you have it already?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I don't believe the Modell Nr. XI was manufactured post WWI and the Sauer Modell Nr. XI was not issued with Krupp 3 Ringe Weapons Grade Steel, but it is possible that it was an upgrade. I would really need to see the Sauer ledger on this one to sort it out but for now I would hold w/ a Sauer Modell Nr. XIV. There are some Sauers offerings in the 183,xxx range that were made in 1914 and other Sauer offerings in the 186,xxx range that were made in 1915/1916. But again the Sauer ledger would sort it out. I am well aware of the scalloped frame requirement for the Modell Nr. XIV, but these were hard times and they may have had to substitute non-scalloped frame to complete the much needed order. I am confident that the addition of the Krupp 3 Ringe Weapons Grade steel tilts the scale in favour of the Modell Nr. XIV.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

·
Registered
19 Posts
You’re probably correct with sourcing of the non-scalloped mo 11 frames with the higher end steel, especially if the gun was put together after the end of WW1. Cates writes that the mo 11 had Krupp Fluss Stahl barrels , non scalloped receiver, third variation upper hinged sears AND intercepting safety sears but no ejectors.
Cates also indicates that he doesn’t think it ( mo 11) was made after WW1.
“The model 14 was an improved mo 11, with the scalloped action and Special Krupp Weapons Grade barrel steel.”
Since the mo 11 was not available with the optional Spezial steel - I imagine the gun in question may have been sold as a XIV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a million @ellenbr & @thatvoodoothatyoudo ,

You two clearly posses a lot of knowledge & research based off of your reply’s. Which I really appreciate the both of you for taking the time to reply to this post! This shotgun was passed down by my grandfather who fought in WWII. He passed awhile back & I finally decided to dig this unit out, since I am an avid bird hunter. & also to gain a little more knowledge about it. Do you happen to know based off the current pictures, if there is any current value behind this weapon?

I can include more pictures if you’d like, If that would help with any more wonderings about it. What I got from this is that this a Sauer Mod. XIV 16g SXS made around 1912-16 in Suhl, Germany!

again, if you’d like more pics feel free to make a request & I can do my best! Thank You!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I would hazard a guess that it was completed & passed thru the Suhl proof facility post WWI, so between 1918- September 1923, when a datecode was engaged.

Are there any stamps on the rear lug? Any interesting marks on the water-table?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Many thanks for the effort but not much more revealing less an odd >>H<< near the lower rib. All the other marks are familiar but I don't recall seeing a H there before. But with the term >>Sicher<< on the top tang, it was an inland German offering; therefore, being a War Trophy.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Also, it is somewhat unique to see the double set of initials, >>HL<< inverted to >>FA<< on the forend wood. >>FA<< is seen from time to time on the flats and I would assume that mechanic contributed effort to the forrend iron. >>HL<< on the other hand might just be a wood guy. A list of the wood mechanics hasn't really been sought after thus far.

The actual number of >>A<< mechanics in Suhl is quite short & F.A. could be:

Franz Adamy
Fritz Albrecht
Franz/Fritz Anschütz

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
IMO its value is much greater as a usable keepsake from your grand father, than what it would garner at a sale. I would never sell it and instead put it in my will to be passed on to the heir that is most inclined to value it and use it properly.

In other words, I would have it thoroughly examined and then use it with appropriate ammo. Every time I did so, I would say a small prayer for my grand dad whose sacrifices made it possible for me to go out shooting with it.

Lovely old gun! Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You know, I have long glanced @ what I assumed(assumption is the anthesis of exactitude) to be a Sauer >>S<< but upon closer inspection those characters just might be a L or something else? I'll have to revisit the many other similar marks that I can find.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You know, I have long glanced @ what I assumed(assumption is the anthesis of exactitude) to be a Sauer >>S<< but upon closer inspection those characters just might be a L or something else? I'll have to revisit the many other similar marks that I can find.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Would an “L” signify a different manufacturer?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts