Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Your website comes highly recommended for shotgun indentification. I hope you can help me out.

I recently aquired a Savage Model 220 and I am researching it's history.

The barrel is marked with the following:

Left Side, barrel:

SAVAGE
Savage Arms Corporation
Utica, New York, U.S.A.
MODEL 220

Right Side, barrel:

PROOF TESTED 12 *****
2 3/4 INCH CHAMBER

Left Side, receiver:

Stylized 'Flying Bomb' proof mark
"US" approx. 1/4" lettering just above the front of the trigger guard

Right Side, receiver:

Small square proof mark next to barrel cut-out.

The barrel end it threaded/slotted to form an integral choke. A cap threads on and is marked as follows:

"The Poly Choke Co. - Hartford Conn. - Patented"
"Single Turn"

The cap is further deliniated around the base:

1, IMP. CYL, 3, MOD., 5, FULL

The person I aquired it from stated that it was an old US Navy training shotgun that was used to train Navy gunners how to lead targets with anti-aircraft guns.

There are no other markings/serial numbers anywhere on the shotgun. The blue is in about 90% condition, and the wood is solid, un-nicked, and smooth. The original rubber buttplate/recoil pad is intact.

Do you have any information as to the history of this shotgun, or it's origins? Additionally, does anyone know of any online manuals that show how to disassemble it?

Thank you.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
The Savage M220 was made from 1938 until 1965. The M220P had the factory installed Poly-Choke. The "Flaming Bomb" / US stamp is a military arsenal stamp that indicates the gun was owned by the US military,probably the US Army.

During the early years of WWII shotguns were purchased from many makers straight off assembly lines and even store shelves. Most were marked with the Army arsenal stamp and sent to various armed forces,prisons and defense groups. Your gun may well have ended up at a Navy Station and been used for gunnery training. Some of these guns ended up with groups of shooting clubs along with cases of buck shot so that civilian shooting clubs could use them to ward off parachute attack troops in Califorinia and even in Chicago,IL. Some of these shotguns were sent to various prisions so that the BARs and Thompson guns there could be freed up for front line service.

While the gun does not have any huge collector's value,it is still an interesting item. Check out Numirch's website for an exploded drawing and parts list.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent! Thank you for the information. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Also, I am not very familiar with the Poly Choke. Does anyone know what each deliniation means?

The cap is further deliniated around the base:

1, IMP. CYL, 3, MOD., 5, FULL
Thank you.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Check out Poly-Choke on this site and call Tom at the company. He can square you away on the older choke markings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.