Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Mossberg 590A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey good people!
I have a Savage Model 30 .410 shotgun and cannot for the life of me figure out why the cartridges will not stay in the tube. The cartridge stop is there and only goes in one way. Magazine plug is in place, spring it good, good tension on the plug. Not sure what else I could be missing.
Thanks!
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
Mossberg 590A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the gun function properly? I would image that finger is there for a reason, it could be that the finger stops the next shell from falling out (as shown in the 1st pic), and the cartridge stop (shown in the 2nd pic) is there to prevent subsequent shells from following it, in other words the cartridge stop does nothing unless there are multiple shells in the mag.
The cartridge stop does not hold them in the tube. It functions, but as you can see, the bolt is keeping the cartridge from falling completely in the action and bouncing around and I don't think that is supposed to be like that. Yes, there are two snap caps in there. So if the cartridge stop is not supposed to hold the shells in the magazine, then what is? According to the schematics, there is nothing missing. I don't think that the piece hanging off of the bottom of the BCG would hold a shell in place under fire. I don't have .410 shells and the local BigR wants $38 for 5.

·
Registered
Mossberg 590A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"These were not particular good or well designed guns, so it's quite possible that it's just a weird looking design. There also would have been patents in effect at the time by major mfgs that would have to be worked around (which was the genesis of the Winchester 1911 without a bolt handle, as Browning held the patent on the bolt handle at the time)."

Tell me about it. I have never seen a shotgun where the cartridges do not stay in the tube. That stop does exactly what you say it does and works as it should when you cycle the action. It rises up to block the next shell in the tube when you pull the action back to chamber the next round. Looks like it does that so you don't double feed. After this conversation, I believe you are correct. Firing the chambered shell I think would cause the next shell in the chute to drop onto the elevator. I am not sure when the last time the owner fired it. After they got it back after Katrina, it has been sitting and not being used. They brought it to me because the action was seized due to the damage from the salt water.

My Mossberg 590 is completely different functionality wise. LOL. Appreciate it brother! I will have to check with my customer to see if that is how he remembers it working.

·
Registered
Mossberg 590A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is normal. There are two cartridge stops. Just like a Browning A5 or Remington Model 11.
One in the bolt, one in the receiver.

Jim
My intention was to build AR's and do transfers. I am not one to turn down business. I love getting to work on some of the older firearms. I learn something new with every single one of them. I have a gentlemen on the opposite side of the country from me that has taken a liking to me and has been sending me relics to work on. Thank you all for the insight!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts