Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for this first and didn't turn anything up within the past couple of months that fit the bill:

I'm looking to by a balance scale (not enough $$ for the electronic quite yet). Any brands to seek out? Any to avoid?

Lyman's manual only mentions their balance scales. Smart, but not helpful to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would buy an RCBS 1010 scale. I have an old 304, but it is no longer made. I think RCBS has the best no hassle warranty of any company that makes anything. No questions asked. If you don't want to spend the little over $100 for the 1010 the 502 would work well also.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
I bought a Lyman Pro 1000 from Ballistic Products thnking it was metal. I'm not saying it isn't reliable, but I did buy a check-scale weght set to verify its accuracy. A nicer looking scale is the Hornady Deluxe Model M Powder Scale. It does limit you to 510 grains. Precision Reloading sells it for $44.95: http://precisionreloading.com/scales.htm

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the brands to look into. Someone needs to open a reloading superstore near me so I can go handle everything I want. :D

When reading Lyman's, I got the impression that anything under 1000 grains would be insufficent. Is this correct? I'm planning on loading heavy and/or steel shot at some point and don't want to short-change myself right out of the gates.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
RCBS in my opinion is the way to go. From my experience, they have the best service and warranty. I broke my 10-10 and even thouhg it was not defective and only broke due to my negligence, they promptly repaired the scale at no charge.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'll second the Cabela's 1500 digital scale at $79. It's a bargain and works flawlessly. Otherwise, the RCBS balance scale is very nice.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have an RCBS 505 and it is a good scale, however, I got the Cabela's $79 digital for Christmas and I'm a digital guy now--and this from someone whose guns are mostly over 20 years old and doesn't even own a cell phone! Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Cleric said:
When reading Lyman's, I got the impression that anything under 1000 grains would be insufficent. Is this correct?
Well, if you are loading 2 oz loads, then you would be checking for 875 grains of shot. I guess that would eliminate the 510 grain capacity scale that I suggested, unless you wanted to check for 437.5 grains twice. I use just the Lyman Pro 1000 balance beam, but it would be nice to have one balance beam scale for powder and another one for shot. I guess that's where the digitals come in handy--just zero out the pan and weigh either powder or shot. Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Con, Haven't checked my stocking yet, but I imagine it's full of coal! Merry (early) Christmas. Good hunitng and good luck.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Look arround at gun shops for used scales. A used RCBS, Redding, Pacific/Hornady, any of the better metal frame and beam scales will work nicely! I've bought several for from a Fiver to $15 apiece. I guess some folks fall off the deep end when they get a digital/electronic scale. I wouldn't part with My RCBS and Redding scale for a dozen Digital scales!

BP

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
While PACT builds most of the digital scales , I don't know if they carry the lifetime warranty that the PACT brand does . I know that PACT does honor the warranty even if the scale was bought used .

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
I have one of the PACT digitals an love it. So easy to tare it out an check weights on either shot or powder. Mine will weight up to 1500 grs. I think the price was around $130.00. To me, well worth it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I appreciate the responses. I use an RCBS 505 I still have the box for and keep the beam off the agate bearing V's when not in use so it is actually still in very good shape. Also have two more beam balances - one fancy one in a plastic dust case and one similar to the RCBS in another make bought in lots of reloading stuff at estate sales (Yeah, I admit, I'm a cheapskate) but still use the RCBS cause I'm used to it.

Just I've found for maximum sensitivity I have to keep the pan swinging just a bit and when doing a lot of weighing putting the pan on and then giving it just enough tap to set it swinging a bit can get a bit old. Al ot of my rifle loading is precision so I use powder measures to drop just under my desired weight and add the last bit with a trickler. But in reality these days I just don't load as much semi-benchrest as I used to so the scale nuisance is going to be pretty minor as I work up some new shotshell loads.

I may go ahead and buy a PACT type scale from a reloading house, preferably RCBS, just not sure the digital convenience is worth $100 or so at the moment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts