Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out deer hunting today and heard 3 shots fired a few hundred yards away next thing I know I hear a bullet go whizzing right past my head to say the least I was completly pissed off

once again I was hunting STATE land

has anyone had any similar experienced

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
You should of heard the bullet go whizzing by..then the gunshot. But, hey, dont worry, you wont hear the one that gets you.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
A slug will still cover a few hundred yards before the sound of the shot catches up. I have had similar experiences while hunting, it is hard for me to get angery at someone else if there is that much distance between us as intervening cover can conceal my presence from others. One reason hunting in popular areas can be hazardous.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Perhaps you should find some private land to hunt. Seems to be a lot of trouble on STATE land near where you and your buddies hunt.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My dad and I were hunting in Ft McCoy in North Central Florida and were dragging a deer out that he had shot. Someone shot the deer while we were dragging it out. I remember like it was yesterday what happened next. First, Dad left the deer in the woods, second we found the hunter who shot it and dad forcably took the gun out of the guys hand and then commenced to wrapping it around a tree. Finally, we left (without the deer) and have NEVER hunted public land again. I was 11 years old and to this day, 30 years later I have never hunted public land again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
About 5 years ago I was in a treestand on public land and I see a hunter walking through the woods a couple hundred yards behind me. Then I see another guy walking a couple hundred yards in front of me. I think the guy in front of me was driving and the guy in back of me was posting up. The guy in front of me kicks up a few deer, including a decent buck. Before I know it, I'm in the crossfire of the guy in front of me, and the guy in back of me. They both knew where I was, but that didn't mean much when buck fever took over. I heard the bullets whizzing by, too. Have been on private land ever since. I've shot lots of nice deer on that public land, but that one experience scared the crap out of me.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
While I too have been shot at or at least near while on State land,there's one way to not be shot at. Go further in. Most hunters don't or won't go much more than 300 yds off the road. You can usually find safer hunting further back. This has been my solution for a long time,when hunting public property.
Just my 2cents worth.....

HWD

·
Registered
11 Posts
the only thing i would like to say is at least u have some public land to hunt. and that is part of the danger of hunting season my ant got shot on her own ranch when i was a kid by a stray shot off of the ranch right next door be cuse the cover was thick no one even would have thought it would have travelled threw it but it did. and it was just no ones falt.so just becouse a stray bullit comes by now and then it can be scary but is part of hunting any were.public or privite

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
On opening day of deer hunting in my first year of deer hunting (first time out). I was sitting on a ridge against a big tree. To my right I could hear many shots being fired. Close to 1000 yards out were a few guys shooting at a flock of geese in the sky that looked like pepper on a paper plate. The geese were between myself and these fools. Some of their bullets from their rifles were taking down small branches off my tree or landing near by turning over the leaves on the ground as they landed.

I know accidents happen to people who have no ill intent. The fact is the person who fires the shot weather it's a rifle, shotgun, muzzle loader, handgun, crossbow, bow and arrow, or even a BB gun are responsible for the outcome.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My Grandpa was once hunting deer on state land with two friends, they were unsuccessful and met up at the agreed upon time to go home. They were walking through the woods, three abreast, with my grandpa on one side. Suddenly, the man in the middle fell down. They checked him and found a perfect little hole in his chest. They never heard the gunshot. Grandpa thought it must have come from someone shooting upward at a deer on a nearby hill and overshooting. He lost a good friend that day... and never hunted again. Since then, my dad only hunts private land and when I finally hunt for the first time, I will also hunt private land. There are just too many dangerous people out there.

Blackstream07

·
Registered
585 Posts
the state game lands are so over populated in my area y not get some private land for ur families saftey not to affend anybody that hunts state game lands i think they are lazy because they dont want knock on some doors askin farmers farms are perfict land to hunt deer feed off the crops farmers dont like that so they want them dead

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.