Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are a certain degree of score marks inside a clean SG barrel 'normal wear'?

I'm noticing that the barrel of my 870 has very slight score marks inside the bore. They seem to start about two thirds of the way from the breech (I have an 18" cyl bore barrel) and stop just before the muzzle. The score marks are reasonably faint and run parallel to each other in the same direction that shell shot would travel and appear along the entire inner circumference of the bore in the affected area.

I've never fired steel or 'hardened' shot in my gun or any exotic load that could damage the barrel's bore.

:?:

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
teclaydon said:
Are a certain degree of score marks inside a clean SG barrel 'normal wear'?

I've never fired steel or 'hardened' shot in my gun or any exotic load that could damage the barrel's bore.

:?:
Then it is likely either lead, or plastic that didn't get removed during cleaning.

Clyde

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
soonerpgh said:
"...And to think I thought you knew what you were doing..."
You guys are starting to make me think that those new Ronco Barrel-o-matic self-cleaning shotgun shells that I paid extra for were all a scam ...that's the last time I buy ammunition from a guy who uses spray paint to cover his bald spot!

(...frick'n steak knives that they threw into the deal were junk too)

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Run a boresnake through your barrel a few times, if that doesn't work try steel wool with some CLP on it.

If that fails, shoot the piss out of it anyway. Itty bitty score marks won't exactly hurt anything.

·
Registered
134 Posts
+1 on the plastic residue.

if it bothers you, good old steel wool (0000) on a dowel (with or without oil, to taste )and you spin it with a cordless drill( oh yeah, power tools!!) Fastest way there is! took me longer to write this than it would take to do it!

on the other hand, on a defense type shotgun, it probably has zero effect...

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
soonerpgh said:
"...Terry, are those the shells that fellow from Nigeria sold you? I thought they had a shot of Hoppes in 'em?..."
Well... ya...

...it is the same guy.

How did you know?

:?: :shock: :?:

And pretty soon he's going to deposit $25,000 into the chequing account that I gave him the number for and let me keep $5,000 of it for helping him out...

...actually, it's been awhile since he wrote to say that he was going to get that done, so I should drop by the bank and check on my balance tomorrow.

:idea: :arrow:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
One possibility has not been mentioned.

I have heard that some people who shoot reclaimed shot will get abrasion from lead shot that still has some dirt, grit, or hardened silica sand stuck to it.

You been shootin' club reloads that one of the old-timers at the club made? with the lead shot being real expensive, I know that they have been 'mining' the hillside at my spot a lot more lately.

At least you aren't dealing with a perazzi here. could always just get anothe bbl.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mike100 said:
"...You been shootin' club reloads that one of the old-timers at the club made?..."
Nope, that's not the case Mike. I only shoot fresh store-bought ammunition ...and - when it comes to my shotgun - either Remington or Winchester brand regular lead shot or slugs.

The more that I look at it (although without actually having tried to clean it out yet), it does look like simple plastic residue. Though the rest of the bore is nice and shiny, it would appear that I managed to 'miss a spot' during my last cleaning session ...which is actually a relief (much better than a scratched up barrel!).

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
The 0000 steel wool trick works great. If that won't get it out nothing will. Just a few drops of CLP on it. No radioactive waste needed to clean the barrel.

I don't recommend mixing ammonia with ANYTHING. Can get ugly fast.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
mike100 said:
http://www.hoppes.com/products/ca_brushes_swabs.html

I'd suggest a tornado brush and some sort of mystery mix cleaning cocktail like wd-40, CLP, and ammonia all at the same time to attack the plastic residue (and everything else for that matter). follow through with a 10 ga brush to really clean like you mean it.
:shock:

You got a bomb shelter nearby? Not that YOU will need it... but the neighbors...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts