Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been searching for a 20 gauge, and went to the local store to check out the cynergy.. I pretty much had settled on the beretta 20 ga white onyx, but i always check out the other offerings before i comit my cash. With your help ive found that the berettas weight in 20 ga white onyx is actually about 6.4 pounds.. After looking at the brownings, citory, cynergy etc, i wanted to verify my feelings and asked to hold the beretta in the rack.. It was an ultralight 12 ga.. WOW!!! What a masterpiece!!!! Im wondering, why get a 20 for weight when i can get a 12 that weighs 6.3 pounds, and i could shoot lighter rounds with less shot weight and recoil?? But i still wont have the 20 ga i want... Any of you wresteled with this?.. How many berettas does one have to buy?.. I was hoping to settle on two... If they made the ultralight in a 20 ga, it would be a no brainer, id love that... Or maybe I can actually shoot heavier loads in the 20 ga 3 inch becouse of taboos with the 12 ga thin barrels? dave

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The ultra-light is a great shotgun. As hoa stated, you can find hulls laying around for reloading at just about any range. If you don't reload, you can find sales on a wide variety of 12 ga loads on sale at your local bigbox sporting goods place.
The 20 ga is a great gun as well. IMO, it will do just about everything the 12 will do and do it in a smaller package. You won't be able to find nearly as many hulls to reload but the sales on the 12 ga stuff will usually, or will often, include the 20ga stuff.

Then there's the 'simple' answer to your question of "if I get the Ultra-light I still won't have my 20ga that I want" and that answer is: Get 'em both! :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
I loved my 20ga SPIII and thought it was the ideal shotgun. That was until I bought a 20 ga Cynergy. The Cynergy felt lighter and super lively. I thought the 20ga Cynergy was the ideal light shotgun. In fact I shot it more than any of my 12ga guns.
Then that all ended when I got a deal on a 28ga SPIII. Wow, light, small scaled frame and lively. You ask if you need more than 1, absolutely! The 12ga has a place and day, the 20ga ditto, but the 28Ga scaled is a dream. I think it weighs in at just over 5lbs and is the best shotgun Beretta makes. Now all I need is a 410 bbl set fitted to it.

TJ

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had an Ultralite Deluxe---traded it for a SPIII 20ga.

I like the overall thin-ness(if that's a word?) of a 20ga and like the steel receiver better---personal preferance.

I recently aquired a 12ga 471 Silver Hawk---its got me thinkin about getting rid of all my other shotguns---save for a BPS Stalker to keep as a beater.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
capitalistpig said:
I had an Ultralite Deluxe---traded it for a SPIII 20ga.

I like the overall thin-ness(if that's a word?) of a 20ga and like the steel receiver better---personal preferance.

I recently aquired a 12ga 471 Silver Hawk---its got me thinkin about getting rid of all my other shotguns---save for a BPS Stalker to keep as a beater.
The 12 ga Superhawk is awesone, and one of my favorite 12s. I recently bought a 20 ga AyA at about 6 lbs. Went grousing with it and it was n ot heavy all day. Just shot it a few hrs ago in a shoot-off with some friends and it is a wonderful gun.

A 20 gauge is wicked!!! A light sxs 20 is obscene!!!

Frank

·
Registered
565 Posts
I can kind of relate. I was looking for a lighter gun and bought a Franchi AL48. I know you are talking about O/U, but this is a very light auto. I was going to buy a 20 to get a lighter gun, but the Franchi in 12 ga. is lighter than most other 20's. For a hunting gun, I would buy the lightest possible and loading down the 12 ga. for less recoil makes a lot of sence becuse you can have a gun that is more versitile. The down side is, who doesn't want more guns?

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
If you want a very nice "light" 20 ga O/U you'd be hard pressed to do better than the Franchi Veloce. I think they may call it something else now, but mine is a Veloce. VERY nice LIGHT 20 ga shotgun. Yes I have a Beretta too and shot a few Brownings. I looked at the Browning Ultaralight before buying the Veloce several years back. The Veloce had a much better finish on the wood.

BP

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Burnt Powder said:
If you want a very nice "light" 20 ga O/U you'd be hard pressed to do better than the Franchi Veloce. I think they may call it something else now, but mine is a Veloce. VERY nice LIGHT 20 ga shotgun. Yes I have a Beretta too and shot a few Brownings. I looked at the Browning Ultaralight before buying the Veloce several years back. The Veloce had a much better finish on the wood.

BP
BP, I thought you "lost" that gun to a family member..... :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
The new 08 20ga Cynergy Feather with 28" barrel weighs in at 5lbs and the 26" version was I think 2oz under that. You asked for light, well there you go... BTW for all you light o/u freaks this new line-up includes 12ga on down to even a .410 model.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree with the Franchi Veloce. I find it almost too light for longer shots though. Great for early season grouse and close pheasants. I do have several Berettas also and think (know) they are much better quality, but still like that little Veloce.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
You're looking for the lightest 20 ga out there and you want to put 3" shells through it why? Stick to 2-3/4 unless you don't mind getting thumped like a dog nipping at the heels of a jackass. Just my personal opinion. A little heavier gun, a little lighter loads, a little nicer day in the field or on the range.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
MRPOWER said:
You're looking for the lightest 20 ga out there and you want to put 3" shells through it why? Stick to 2-3/4 unless you don't mind getting thumped like a dog nipping at the heels of a jackass. Just my personal opinion. A little heavier gun, a little lighter loads, a little nicer day in the field or on the range.
Agreed. I like a trim and light gun, and I won't feed my O/Us in 20 the 3-inch buggers because I've never been convinced the performance on the far end is worth the beating on the near end. Have tried it more than once, and ended up giving away the remainder of the box of magnums. I think they turn a trim, light, sweet 20 into a mean little SOB.

That said, that's not the whole story with me. I've decided to leave my CG Magnus field 20 gauge in the safe for the rest of the winter. I've got two light 16s by FAIR that I love in the field. I'm afraid I've become a bit of a 16 ga. freak. Got four 16s now, and may pop for an AyA, too. The field darling of this season has been a FAIR Model 600 Gold with 26" barrels. My birds-to-shells ratio is going very well so far. I really enjoy this little gun.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lets not get silly now.. Im changing my mind daily, and getting distant from a purchase becouse of the variety of choices.. I like the berrreta 12 ga ultra light(6 lbs 2 oz), and the 5 lb 8 oz 20 ga franchi rennesance(sp).. I have a great o/u berreta white onyx 12 gauge (7 lb 4 oz actual weight) that swackes clays at 27 yards easily with nitro 27 number 7 1/2 , no felt recoil or face slap whatsoever.. .. The new gun will be a matched pair to that gun, but i want it light,. Probably 2-3 rounds max in an afternoon after im tired.. both guns will be there.. The shells i use and etc will be decided after patterning and field trials.. I am leaning toward the berretas tho becouse the safetys & feel will be the same.. They make a 5 lb 6 oz 28 gague 687 silver pidgeon II that must be a sweetheart.. I guess Its like fishing rods, until youve used them for 6 months, you dont know what you will like.. (expensive way to go) dave..

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I have an early model Beretta UL. Matte black receiver, plain as mud walnut ... and it's been a superb field gun. I can heartily endorse a Beretta UL. It won't become your clays gun, but you'll love it for the uplands, IMO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts