Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to buy a Sears semiautomatic with a variable choke device on it. It appears to be a Winchester 1400. It is in good shape. The dealer wants $300 for it.

What is the reputation of this gun? Price too high? What should I offer? I think I want to buy but I need your input as you folks have a lot of knowledge about guns.

I will not be using it much as I have my trusty double that has been my standby, just like the real Elmer Fudd. It is a Stevens 20 gauge, model 311.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called the dealer and offered him $250. He accepted. It is a pretty gun with a good finish. It looks like it just came out of the box new. He said he bought it at an estate sale.

Than you for your advice. The variable choke device was the only holdback. I have read that they work as well as the other type chokes. I will not be using it much but it is nice to have.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all!

I test fired the gun yesterday afternoon. I don't think it has ever been fired from the looks. It functions well. It didn't jam. Recoil is soft. I like the finish. I tacked some paper on a fence post and tried out the choke. It throws different patterns at difference settings. I will try to get more scientific with the patterning after I get back from my next flight. I have to leave at 11:35 to fly from RDU to Detroit. I will be back tomorrow morning and will shoot some more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.