Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a new DC12 from Pacific Sporting Arms. Every fourth or fifth time the second barrel won’t fire. Doesn’t matter which barrel is fired first. I suspect I will have to send it back to have ejectors timed but PSA doesn’t open until Tuesday and if there are any “quick fixes” to try tomorrow is the only time I can shoot it again until next week and I am hoping to have it ready for the Northeast Regionals in 3 weeks so does anyone know of anything I can try before I send it back?

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shot another 150 rounds today and the symptoms changed. Only one episode of second barrel not firing (was left barrel first then right. However had several episodes of first barrel not firing. Always happened with right barrel set first but I did not shoot much with left barrel selected first. Could fire the gun after putting safety on and pushing selector switch to left and back to right. Also seemed to be able to avoid problem by pushing safety further forward into trigger plate release position then back before firing but not sure. Could it be a problem with the safety?

· Registered
9,430 Posts
IDK about the side by side, but on the over/unders, you must engage the safety before changing the barrel selection, then disengage it prior to firing, if you don't the gun can double, so different from your issue, but might be worth a try if that helps. Beyond that I'm kinda out of ideas.

· Registered
20,586 Posts
Shot another 150 rounds today and the symptoms changed. Only one episode of second barrel not firing (was left barrel first then right. However had several episodes of first barrel not firing. Always happened with right barrel set first but I did not shoot much with left barrel selected first. Could fire the gun after putting safety on and pushing selector switch to left and back to right. Also seemed to be able to avoid problem by pushing safety further forward into trigger plate release position then back before firing but not sure. Could it be a problem with the safety?
My first thought upon reading your post was that you weren't breaking the gun open FULLY, and consequently the sear wasn't engaging one of the hammers thereby causing it not to be cocked. However, if manipulating the safety and/or the barrel selector back and forth allows the barrel to fire, then not breaking the gun open fully was not the problem.

What I suggest is to remove the buttstock and clean the insides good with solvent such as mineral spirits or kerosene. You wouldn't believe all the junk that can be inside of brand new guns including, but not limited to wood shavings, metal shavings, heavy grease, and extra parts (screws, springs, nuts, etc).

Reactions: Coach Super-X

· Registered
15,044 Posts
With my .410 , The wood was not perfect around the top lever, So I fixed it w/ a Dremel in about 1 minute.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I do engage the safety before switching barrels and on the DC12 you can’t load the shells unless you open the gun fully. I’m a little less anxious because I just realized that Dan Loker will probably be at the Northeast Regional and I usually give my guns to him to adjust the triggers. I’ll keep you updated on what he says.

· Registered
20,586 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I do engage the safety before switching barrels and on the DC12 you can’t load the shells unless you open the gun fully. I’m a little less anxious because I just realized that Dan Loker will probably be at the Northeast Regional and I usually give my guns to him to adjust the triggers. I’ll keep you updated on what he says.
Why not clean the insides? Then, if that doesn't fix the problem, take the gun to Dan. If you don't know how to remove the buttstock, it's not too late to learn.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had done all of the above and problem seems to be getting better. Shot 250 rounds on sporting clays course and it only happened once on second shot. Few days ago shot 100 rounds on skeet field and no problems. Incidentally PSA offered to send me a return shipping label right away but I decided to wait a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts