Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have recently become interested in wingshooting and am now facing the daunting task of selecting a suitable shotgun from a overwhelming variety available.
There is something about the look of a side/side shotgun that thrills and entrigues me, so I thought my first purchase would be one of these before moving onto a over/under. In scanning a local gun magazine, I am faced with a few possible options but no idea which one to choose, as there are no pictures accompanying them. I am a bit of a sentimetalist and would love something from the bygone era with possibly a bit of hand engraving on it, i.e. a well made shotgun. These are the guns that are presently available and which fall within my price range. They are all 12GA.
J.Wilkis; Parker-Hale; W.W. Greener; Gunmark Kestrel MC/CJ; BSA; Webley & Scott; Midland; Jeffery; Winchester M24; FN; Aya; Brno; Bignotti; Sabel; Pointer; Sarasqueta; Eibar; Spanish; Baikal; Master.
Are there any names that really stand out here? It would help me tremendously if you would single out the best of these for me please. Look forward to any advice at all. Many thanks!

G

·
get the one that fits and feels best to you.
If you get a used sxs then I wouldn't think you would need to move to an over and under.After you find what fits you ask a gunsmith about the quality of it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Out of the ones you listed with out a doubt the Winchester model 24. That is one that enbodies old world craftsmenship. Parker-Hale, W.W. Greener, and Webley & Scott are very good guns also, but to me the Winchester is the one I like best. tobad it is not the model 21 alot of people think the 21 is one of if not the best american SxS I know I do. But yes the model 24 would serve you good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the advice. This is a great site and you guys are fantastic. I am sure I will be posting many more enquiries as I go along. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Pretty cool, someone from South Africa.

Jay you keeping up with this? It's really becoming shotgun "world". There have been several from the UK, a couple or whatever the meteric equivalent is from down under, Brazil, seems like one from the mideast like Pakistan, Poland....and I cant recall where else.

Maybe you can come up with a graphic of a world map that has pins in it to show where all the registered users are from?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Of the guns you mentioned I would go with the Model 24 also.
I'm a big fan of the old Winchesters. I've shot a couple of Kestrels that were actually pretty nice. I believe they are made by Zabala like the Weatherby Orion and Charles Daly if I'm not mistaken.

Birdbrained (another member here) has mentioned Bernardelli's in the past and has had nice things to say about them. These should also be around these prices.

Good Luck and Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The Webley & Scott range of SxS doubles are fantastic also. My father-in-law swears by his, using it for clays, driven pheasant, rabbits in the fields etc etc. The quality of workmanship is fantastic, it really stands up to 'real life' shooting which can be hard on some of the 'delicate' SxS doubles.

All the ones you listed look like good guns, with obviously a few above the rest.

Enjoy it and greetings from London!

Ben

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Hello Trout,
Welcome to the Shotgunworld.com Forum! Home of the friendliest gun forum on the net :)
Let us know which one you decide on and then post some pics of it so we can drool over it. :)

Quick reply to Rick618:
Yep, we're certainly world wide now :)
I looked for graphic software that would take input from a database and graphically show a location...like you were talking about. However, the software was very expensive. I really like the graphics that Clay Shooters Online uses. I should check to see what they bought or if it was developed in-house.

regards,
jay Gentry
Shotgunworld.com

G

·
Well Trout-- almost any of the names you mention are great guns, some of them legendary here in the states. It strikes me that there are probably lots of good used guns knocking around Africa in the wake of the British occupation. Have fun with your choice, and have fun shooting, too!

Jeff23

1 - 9 of 9 Posts