Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my second time with spotting clays was good not best but good I got that IC choke and left it in all relatively short shots. I even busted two targets with one shoot I got a good feeling about that. they were throwing this smaller targets there to about half the size of a normal clay but I hit it to. I got 17 out of 50 I doubled my score plus one from my first time. one of the guys said something about my shooting that has me thinking he said I need to relax and not think about my shot. he said that I did fine and busted clays if I was not thinking about it and that my reaction time was great but I just need to start with the shoot gun at shoulder and pointing in the durations to fallow. he said that I just needed use my instincts and not work at it so hard how true is this is that normal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check out the current thread titled "Shooting, A Mental Game?"

I've only just started shooting skeet, but I have found, and been told, it is more about "feeling" the shot than aiming, calculating lead, etc. Of course there are certain physical basics like smooth mount, smooth swing, follow through, etc. that can't be ignored. And then it's just a matter of practice...

A tourist approaches a man on a New York street and asks, "Pardon me, can you tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?"
"Sure." says the man, "Practice, practice, practice."

G

·
I just shot a sporting clays tournament this weekend. Only my third try at clays, but I still got 64 out of 100. Everyone agreed it was a pretty tough course, but I still hung in there with the guys. We also played quite a few rounds of Annie Oakley and I really shined there :D I was in the finals 5 of the 12 rounds and actually won one match (against the Badger State Games gold medalist, no less) I was so keyed up I just shot instintively, it was a great feeling :mrgreen:

Be sure you have your gun mounted comfortably before you call for your target. Use the bead to sight the gun in, then focus past the gun and call for the target. Don't AIM your gun, POINT it at the target. It's like driving a car. You don't use your hood ornament to guide yourself down the road. Once your gun is properly shouldered you only need to find the target and pull the trigger. When I start to miss targets I find that I'm AIMING again and correct myself.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
This is the problem with clay shooting, the people who can do it, make it look effortless and are all relaxed with hardly any gun movement, the first few times you try it, you think "How the heck can I be relaxed when I am working so hard?"

You need some fundamentals, and when you have those committed to subsconcious memory then you can relax. You will get the basics fastest if you can go with a coach for 2-4 lessons. This does not have to be a paid for coach, but have someone explain the principles in a lesson structure not on a round of clays or skeet. I usually force students to go it alone after 2-4 lessons then come back when they are ready to move to the next stage. There are many more stages ahead of you :?

Misty, sorry, and this may seem odd when you have a 64% score, but you do not sight a shotgun. Please do not look at the bead. It will cause you to start measuring and then you will miss - most often behind.

BTW, as a tip for beginners, shoot twice at the first target of a pair if you miss the first time. You are more likely to hit the same target than the new target, and then you will have 50%

Roger

G

·
Roger, I don't think you understand what I said. I use the bead to mount my gun, not to sight a target. I line the bead up on the rib and lock in. Then I focus out in the field and call for my target and point the gun with my whole upper body, I no longer see the gun at all. Hope that makes more sense.

G

·
Misty, Right on!! Most guys shoot off the shoulder but if you watch them they always shoulder the gun two or three times to get a sight picture and make sure there head is in the right place. The only way you can do this is to see the front sight to rib relationship, after that it is just keep your eye on the bird just like you said!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.