Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
This is quite interesting, but not surpeising. GCA 1968 is an abomination. I have written every senator and representative I have had since it was passed, asking for repeal, and have never received a reply.

·
Registered
44 Posts
neophyte said:
NEVER SAY IT CAN'T HAPPEN HERE !
Question: Are you an active member in supporting The NRA? This is what they do, they activly lobby in congress to insure that this does not happen in America. Our rights to own and bear arms have been targeted for years. Thanks to the efforts of this organization we can still indulge ourselves in this right.

I have no problem with registering my weapons and getting permits to carry and conceal. What I do have a problem with is someone trying to take my right to own and bear arms away from me.

Do what you can to support the NRA and suggest to your friends it would be good for them to do the same. Lead by example.

·
Banned
30,315 Posts
We are not Nazi Germany. That was an outright totalitarian State that eventually enjoyed the support of most Germans. If you were a German in the late 30's, the odds are overwhelming you supported the Nazi party, and if you did, you got your gun. The Nazis had no problem with good Nazis having guns, and the people they hated being disarmed.

We are a democracy. Whoever wins the elections next year, the loosers will step down peacefully. We've had elections in this country for well over two hundred years, in spite of wars, even a civil war, and several economic depressions. We have the opposite problem of Nazi Germany. Our tyrannies are put on us by our elected representatives, seeking to pass "tough laws" so they can run for re-election.

The NRA is the salvation of the American gun owner. Our elected representatives are afraid of the gun lobby, almost as much as they are the old folk's lobby and the mad mothers against drunk drivers.

A politician trying to pass some kind of silly law to make themselves popular could give a damn about the constitution. Our courts, who are supposed to save us from all this, heretofore have only seen fit to protect civil rights that liberals agree with. Politicians do care, and care very much, about whether they'll be re-elected the next cycle.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Head shot said:
neophyte said:
NEVER SAY IT CAN'T HAPPEN HERE !
Question: Are you an active member in supporting The NRA? This is what they do, they activly lobby in congress to insure that this does not happen in America. Our rights to own and bear arms have been targeted for years. Thanks to the efforts of this organization we can still indulge ourselves in this right.

I have no problem with registering my weapons and getting permits to carry and conceal. What I do have a problem with is someone trying to take my right to own and bear arms away from me.

Do what you can to support the NRA and suggest to your friends it would be good for them to do the same. Lead by example.
Have a problem with someone taking your rights... but no problem with registration & permits. Sounds like you just gave up a little of your rights.

·
Registered
44 Posts
[/quote]
Have a problem with someone taking your rights... but no problem with registration & permits. Sounds like you just gave up a little of your rights.
dove hunter,

I am glad that you have used your right to express your opinion. At least I think there is an opinion in there some where. I can only gather from your statement that you don't think the permit and registration process is necessary.

No I do not have a problem getting a permit to carry and conceal and registering my fire arms. Am I giving up any rights. No I don't believe I am. Do I not still have the privilage to carry and conceal, buy what ever weapon I wish?

What I can't do is walk down the street or any other public place with a weapon under my jacket without a carry and conceal permit. Even with a permit some of these places are off limits.

I supose you would like the fact that if we did not have governing laws that every indavidual in the public area has a 45 in there britches. Wouldn't that be fun. Or perhaps you think that a convicted rapist, child malester, and or even a murderer still should have the privilage to buy a weapon. Is this what you believe?

If we didn't have the registration process this would be the world you would be living in. Not a place I want to be.

So as I said, being a law abiding citizen I have no problem with regeristing and getting the propper permits.

And yes of course criminals will always have access to weapons. So don't try that as an argument. As long as we have the right to legally own and carry a weapon/gun they will always have access to them. The difference is I won't be facing a federal offense for having a weapon/gun in my posession.

That is one of the many reasons I support the NRA. So that my right to own and bear arms will not be taken away from me, in spite of the ciminals of the world.

I suppose that you think a convicted drunk driver should still have the privillage to drive. I mean we have to get a license to legally drive a vehicle. Maybe they should do away with that law so we all should have the right to drive regardless if we are a drunk and have the potiential to take a families life or maybe we will just kill the child.

Don't get your state laws mixed up with Federal laws. Some laws are necessary in todays society. But if you think different I guess we can always agree to disagree.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Head shot,

One carrying a firearm must be responsible in doing so with or without a permit.

Now, would you be OK if your permit cost $1000 per year? What if you could only have one if your eye sight was 20/20 without eyeglasses or you had to have a shooting test & had to shot a perfect score?

Registration? Have we been living in a perfect word since the 1968 gun control law? I have some bought second hand without going through a FFL & are not registered in my name. Maybe I can keep them as long as I don't slap my wife, or does that mean I just can't buy from a FFL.

My point... be careful with your rights, one day you might not be able to meet the requirements to have them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
dovehunter said:
Head shot,

One carrying a firearm must be responsible in doing so with or without a permit.

My point... be careful with your rights, one day you might not be able to meet the requirements to have them.
dovehunter,

Thank you for more than a one line responce. In doing so I can see that we are in a vast more perception of agreement than not.

Most certanly one must show due responcibility when posessing a fire arm, as most law abbiding citizens do. If they have had the propper instructions. As you know with fire arm safety nothing is assumed. (assume* ***-u-me)

Registration? Thank you, you basically repeated what I previously stated. (As long as you don't slap your wife) The ciminal will always have access to a weapon as long as law abbiding citizens still retain the right to own and bear arms. Certany not willing to give up this right.

As far as the what if this and what it thats. What can I say and not be redundant? NRA NRA NRA

My concerns for my and your rights and not freely relinquishing them. Read my signature at the bottom of this post.

Have a good one dovehunter and a Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
mrayw said:
the patriot act is much worse than the 1968 GCA.
No it isn't. They're both about on a par in the march toward tyranny.

Head shot said:
Your acceptance of the first will facilitate the second.

Maybe you weren't paying attention when Russian Georgia got totally fed up with its inclusion in Mother Russia's dictatorship and opted for a little rebellion to remove itself from it.

Since all the Russian Georgians' guns were registered, the army and KGB simply went to those folks houses and confiscated the guns.

It was probably the shortest rebellion in history.

Moral: The necessity of a people's private ownership of firearms has nothing to do with hunting Bambi.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Case nailed it!

And Russia wasn't the only time!

Registration is just the first step to confiscation! Always has been and always will be so!

Crooks are protected from having to register their guns, it might not be their right to own one, but the lack of registering them, does not pertain to them. So why should an honest citizen be treated any differently?

Clyde

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Head shot,

The analogy to driving does not hold water. Driving is a privilege. Firearms ownership is a right.

License requirements in order to exercise a privilege are common and accepted. But we do not require licenses or registration in order to practice religion, freedom of speech, or freedom to assemble peaceably. Nor should we accept registration or licensing in order to possess arms.

I'm not advocating against the NICS background check. I'm opposed to licensing of gun owners or registration of guns. Neither does anything to impact crime but both give the government what it needs to locate and take arms at a later date.

Casual Shooter

·
Premium Member
4,638 Posts
Casual Shooter said:
Neither does anything to impact crime but both give the government what it needs to locate and take arms at a later date.
...if not actually modify the registration law to turn it into confiscation, like the New York registration permit system.

What do you do when the permit license fee goes from $100 to $1000? You price a bunch of people out of the process right there. And then what happens if it goes up to $10,000?

Of course, you don't have to raise the price. You just make sure to never have the proper forms available. Or have the person who processes forms only available Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10-2. Or make sure the required safety class is only available once a year with only 50 slots (gotta make sure that politicians and celebrities can get their gun permit). The opportunities for bureaucratic run around are endless.

Registration is just a bad idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.