Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm brand new to this forum and don't know where else to turn. I'm trying to remove the operating handle on a Savage model 30 12 Gauge pump. I have looked at the schematic, but the operating handle collar won't budge. If anyone has experience in removing these, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
536 Posts
That gun went through about a dozen series. If it has two notches in the collar you'll have to make or buy a tool. If there are no notches you'll have to use soft-jawed pliers (a thin piece of leather will work with concave-jawed vice grips where you can regulate the amount of pressure on the collar. If you clamp down too hard you might bend the slide handle tube. Now, go to your local General Motors dealer, the parts department, and get some Heat Valve Lubricant. If I were home I'd give you the part number, but I'm not, so just ask for it by name. This is without a doubt the best stuff I've ever used for getting things loose. You will use it for everything and one can will last you for years. You might want to put some wax on any exposed wood that butts up to the collar, this stuff will probably leech into the wood if you don't. You might even tape the forearm a bit. Use the tube applicator and you will see the stuff wick into the crack between the collar and the forearm. Be generous but not to the point that it runs everywhere. This stuff seems to seek out cracks and crevices. Let it set overnight, barrel down so the lubricant will flow into the threads and then get the soft-jawed pliers out. Give the collar a few light taps with a nylon hammer if you have one. Work the collar very slightly both ways, they put a bit of pressure for the counterclockwise turn. If this wont take it off you'll have to cut it with a Dremmel and buy a new collar. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you VERY much for your advice. Upon further inspection, it is a series B. There are no notches in the collar so I will go to work from here. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts