Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been interested in shooting clay targets and have taken a few classes over the years but I've never shifted into a higher gear and purchased my own gun. Recently, a close family friend offered to sell me a Winchester model 1200 (full choke, 27.5" ventilated, rib barrel) in marvelous condition for a very fair price. My question is: Would this be an acceptable gun to start out with?

With thanks, Stephen Michael

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Stehpen,

It would be a suitable gun to use for informal Trap shooting. With the full choke it would be a frustrating gun to shoot skeet with and is tighter choked that many people would use for Sporting Clays.

If the price is favorable enough to allow you to purchase a second barrel (either one with a more open choke or one with interchangeable choke tubes) it would be much more useful in clay games.

There seems to be a skeet barrel at Gunparts that would allow you to shoot skeet. There is also one that is an IC. At $50. each you might buy a collection :0

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?c ... SKU=594970

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought a Sears & Roebuck M200 (Winchester 1200) at an auction close to 20 years ago in pretty much the same configuration. It took a while but I was finally able to pick up a new barrel sporting WinChokes from Kittery Trading Post several years later. I have less into that gun with both barrels than I would in an 870 Express. It's a great gun (though a tad on the heavy side) and I use it all the time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Red-Leg and Fish Springs,

Thank you both for sharing your thoughts, I very much appreciate your time and wisdom. Considering your observations, what the gun will cost (under $100) AND my previous track record for sustaining interest in new hobbies :oops: , I think it makes sense for me to give the gun a try. Besides, searching for a new barrel will give me something to do (and perhaps keep me out of trouble) during the remainder of the winter.

Thanks again,

Stephen

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Yes, given the circumstances, it sounds like a good fit.

You may enjoy using that gun and keep on doing so, I know some people who use similar guns; you may get into shooting a lot and decide to "augment" the 1200 with another "companion".

Red-Leg said:
For under $100, you definitely need to get that gun. :lol:
I'll second that. :D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Three votes--buy it, shoot Trap and look for a more open choked barrel to do shoot other games with.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
One other option is to have a good gunsmith open up the choke to Light Mod or put threads in it for choke tubes. A fixed choke light mod is a very useful gun. It is tight for skeet, but about right for most other uses.

You have a good deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spencer et al,

Thank you all once again for your thoughts and encouraging input! I'm looking forward to getting my more informed foot in the door and sharing my experiences with others.

Thanks again and best wishes for the new year to you all.

SM

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Hi Stephen Michael,

I also support the motion to buy the 1200. A barrel for a Winchester 1300 will fit the 1200 and you may be able to find a used barrel with Winchokes for around $100 for it. The only thing to remember is if the 1200 is labeled as 2 3/4 inch shells only on the barrel then the reciever is made to cycle 2 3/4 inch shells only even if you put a barrel on that will handle both 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells.

I have a couple 1200's and bought a used vent rib winchoke barrel for one of them last spring for $110 on e-bay. A new barrel can be had for about $180 from Cabelas.

By the way does the gun have a recoil pad on it, or just a hard plastic butt plate on the stock?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong. My first 12ga was a $25 Stevens 67D with a fixed full choke barrel that I have to this day. Ugly wood, no vent rib, and absolutely painful upon the eyes to gaze upon.

However it did land me several 25 straights in my younger years in trap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Folks,

Thanks again for your generous sharing of thoughts, ideas and viewpoints! I feel fortunate that there is such a forum as this and am pleased you all took time to respond. As a result of your advice, I did purchase the gun and have been doing a bit of shopping online as well as checking with the local gunsmith to figure out what will work best. The Kittery Trading Post (Yankee version of Cabelas) isn't too far up the road and it's a fun place to visit. The weather is cold enough that I've got plenty of time on my hands to address the details. There is no recoil pad on the butt yet, but it sounds like it could be a good idea. I expect to have a handful of new thoughts and questions once I finally get my act together and start shooting. Two steps forward...

Once again, my sincere thanks for your input and support. It's great to know there's such a supportive and experienced group out there. A healthy and happy New Year to you all! SM

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I don't even like 1200s and I would jump at that offer. A side note, if and when you move up in guns it is wise to get a gun with good resale value unless you know of one you will definately stay with for a long time. I've gotten a few in the past that I wished I'd stayed away from when it came time to move up. In fact I have a 22 pistol right now that I guess I'll have to keep cause the bottom of the market fell through. At least I have enough free money in my life now where it doesn't hurt as much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts