Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I've been a long time user of pumps and to a lesser degree doubles and single barrels over the years. I'd like to get my first semi for casual use on skeet (at my buddies farm, nothing to serious). I'd wouldn't mind something suitable for turkey hunting as well although I gotta admit thats not a major priority.

Actually this'll be my second semi auto but I don't usually talk about the first :oops: . It was a Franchi SPAS-12 and looked more impressive than it was. It was a rather cumbersome beast and would only cycle on semi with high brass loads.

Which leads me to my criteria:

- 24-28" vent rib barrel
- availability of a spare slug barrel would be nice but not mandatory
- 12 gauge
- ability to feed a variety of shells with minimal or no gas adjustment
- cost: probably under $500

Now, I've been looking at Charles Daly's and Russian MP153's as possibilities and have read the widely varying opinions here. I like the feel of the Charles Daly and know a couple folks with them but both have limited rounds through them.

What else is available under the $500 mark? I heard rumor of Walmart having Beretta's somewhere around $500.

Opinions on used Rem's, Mossberg's or the like?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
2,390 Posts
A friend of mine recently bought a Verona auto for around $300 new. He has only shot a couple of boxes of shells throught it, but is very happy with it.

G

·
I've seen a couple of the Verona's out at Dicks and Gander Mtn recently but didn't really know anything about them. They're Italian aren't they??

·
Registered
985 Posts
The ONLY auto that will not need adjusting is the MP153 and it takes 3.5 in shells if you would want them. It also costs under $200 new! I have yet to find a sporting round that this gun wouldn't eat, and I never touch the gas system. That is one of thier big selling points.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The O/U is italian but the semi is turkish.

The Remington 11/87, Browning gold, Winchester super X2, and the Beretta 391 would seem to fit for you. Out of all of them I would say the Rem 11/87 w/26" barrel is the Best fit for you. You can go to any gunshow and you are sure to see at least half a dozen used and new barrels for it. You can easily pick up a slug barrel for it. Used they varry $$$ wise but you should be able to deal on one in the high $400's low $500 pretty easy. also Rem chokes are just about every where you can go to the local wal-mart and pick up a nice Xfull for turkey.

Umm Gordo you might want to check that price you listed try under $300 new. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm with john305! The 11-87 is the best all around performer out there. They probably also have the most available options for the 11-87 than anyone else. (barrels, finishes, etc.) Remington is where it's at. just my 2 cents!!!

G

·
Wal-mart carries the Beretta 390 series for $525. Synthetic stock, matte finish, 28" barrel, shoots all 2 3/4" and 3" shells, stock is adjustable with shims to better fit a person. I feel the Beretta autos are the most dependable all around at this time, the 11-87s I've owned have been temperamental when shooting light 1 oz loads and none of them liked 7/8 oz loads at all. Slug barrels are available, Beretta and Hastings both have them available. I bought a Hastings cantilever barrel from Cabela's bargain cave for $160, otherwise they run $250-280. The 3" Winchester SX-2 can be found in the $500 range also, after rebate. I think there is a slug barrel available but am not positive. In the used market, you can find the above guns up to $100 cheaper than the afore said prices and the Browning Gold can be had around the $500 mark. The 11-87 falls in this bracket also and is a good gun, it just has not met my needs. As mentioned, there is a plethora of accessories available to modify it to your heart's content. Since you mention it will mainly be for informal shooting, you may wish to look at a used Remington 1100. The 2 3/4" chambered models are plentiful and cheap, it is not uncommon to find them in the $250 range for the fixed choke models. A slug barrel can set you back as little as $125 if you choose. Any of these guns would easily meet your requirements and give a lifetime of dependable service.
I did it again; I forgot to log on- Uglydog

·
Registered
658 Posts
Check out the Fabarm/H&K Red Lion. I bought one new in the box for about $425 2 years ago ( I think they show a suggested retail of about twice that much). A 24" barrel is available, that's what I have. Yesterday I fired about 125 rounds of 7/8 ounce loads, which my Benelli often chokes on, with no misfeeds or any problems. I've used mostly 1 1/4 and 1 3/8 ounce loads and can't recall ever having any problems. The gun came in a hard case with 4 choke tubes and a wrench, and I've been quite happy with it. Except for that dorky red lion on the receiver, which I removed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts