Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a remington 870 exp. and was wanting to get either a Charles Daley semi auto for $280 or a Spartan o/u for $400. I am 16 and like to save where I can. What should I get? I do some skeet, dove, varmint, home defense, etc. Should I sell my 870? 12 or 20 *****?

Anyone found at my house at night will be found there in the morning.

Spiffy :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was also looking at a benelli, how much do they run for a semi?

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Benelli's in general are the most expensive semi auto's. New models are usually more the $800.00.
I would just keep your 870 or go with something like a Stoeger 2000, Traditions ALS2100, or Verona SX405 for a less expensive semi auto.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Shoot the 870. At 16, you surely could use the extra cash for shells, a reloader, a car, present for girlfriend, etc. Really, I would rather have an 870 than either of the choices you listed. There is a reason the 870 is the most popular shotgun ever made.

·
Registered
856 Posts
When I was 16 I was shooting a Winchester 1200. Never did shoot it well. Ended up trading it off for an 870 Wingmaster when I was in college.

If you shoot the 870 well, I would hang on to it. If you can, try a few different guns on the skeet or trap field before you buy another. That is a HUGE help when trying to decide which gun is right for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how much are the base shotguns for the brands the moderator mentioned and are they well built and pleasing to hold?

I HATE SYNTHETIC!

Spiffy

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
All three seem to be made well considering their price range which is around $400.00. They are also pretty light in weight and balance well for me. You don't want to go to cheap in an auto. It asking for problems if you do.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Worc said:
You don't want to go to cheap in an auto. It is asking for problems if you do.
Yeah. Like Charles Dalys, for example.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Quote:

Spiffy,
When I hear a comment like this from anyone, let alone a 16 y.o. it makes me very nervous. Given the question in your post, about which shotgun to get, the comment doesn't really even fit. It is almost like you would welcome the opportunity. I don't know what kind of area you live in, what adult supervision you have or if there are younger kids there. You don't need to share this with us, but please, please be careful. If you have the role in your house of protector, think every situation through carefully. It is a great responsiblity. The gun should be off limits to friends and they should know that. It is very unwise to bring the gun out and admire it, etc with your friends. Sooner or later, chances are it will go boom.

My oldest son is 13 y.o., has been through hunter safety and is very responsible. But.....he doesn't know the code of my gun safe and not sure when he will. My home protection gun is a pistol in a small safe with a code. A shotgun is also quickly accessable from my large safe, but it is not near my bedroom. I would like to have a shotgun in my bedroom, but in my mind, the risk far outweighs the benefit.

Anyway, I don't mean to flame you here, but just a caution to think through your situation, your attitude, etc.

Regarding your question. I would recommend keeping the 870. I think almost every gun I have ever sold I have regretted later. It will make a good backup for when you do buy a new one.

Keep looking at the nicer shotguns and keep saving. Then at some point, you will know what you want and you can buy it. Don't be in a hurry. At 16, if you have any income and no financial responsibilities, you can save money pretty quickly. I tell my 13 y.o. he can either blow his money on cd's and video games or he can save up and buy good fishing and hunting gear. If he spends it wisely, I have a tendency to kick in some to help him out. There will come a day when you (and him) have other financial responsibilities and new guns just won't be possible. Get them now and take care of them and you will always have them.

Good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Spiffy,

Do not get rid of that 870. 20 years from now you will regret not having your first shotgun. I still have mine. The dent in the stock where my buddy slammed the truck door on it reminds me of the early years. I have owned and sold 5 semi-autos. They all jammed one time or another and I will never purchase one again. Save your money for an o/u someday. Like someone else said, see if you can shoot other guns before you buy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Amen Cascadedad. I had the same thoughts when I read home protection in his uses list. My "home protection" weapon is a home alarm system, phone beside the bed for 911, my 6'2" 240 lb frame and very very last is a snub nose colt 38 in a quick access safe in a safe place and I have no children in my house ever. The attitude Spiffy conveyed is the very attitude that gets "buddies" shot when Spiffy wakes up in a midnight haze forgetting his best friend is spending the night but went downstairs to get some water drops and breaks a glass and Spiffy mistakes him for a burglar. Always be careful and responsible not gradiose and boastful when it comes to firearms. Remember, when you brag about the guns you have it isn't a deterrent for thieves but encouragement for thieves. You will always leave the house eventually.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Spiffy said:
how much are the base shotguns for the brands the moderator mentioned and are they well built and pleasing to hold?

I HATE SYNTHETIC!

Spiffy
If you can get over the synthetic part, a Remington 11-87 Sportsman is a solid auto. I just saw one at Dick's for $400. For $100 more, you can get the SP, which has satin finished wood, and parkerized metal like your express. It's a 3.5 inch gun, where the Sportsman is a 3 inch.

Here is the link for the Sportsman

http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... rtsman.asp

Hope that helps.

Edit: BTW, a Benelli auto will vary with model. A very used M1 might be $500. A new M2 will be around $800-$900, SBE 2s will usually start at around $1300, and go up with more features added.

·
Registered
573 Posts
It sounds like you have Christmas money burning a hole in your pocket. I would not get rid of the 870. I still have the one my dad got me for Christmas 25 years ago when I was 16 and I still shoot it regularly. Of those ones you mentioned, I would get the spartan. My experience with them has been that they are worth more than they cost. Another reasonable option as Worc indicated would be an SX401 from Verona or I think now Marlin is importing them. Again, an excellent value in semi. I think CDNN had them for $239 plus shipping and of course FFL transfer fee. For the money you could not go wrong with either as you would certainly get your enjoyment out of them. Whatever you do I would not however get rid of the 870. There is not a more versatile shotgun made anywhere by anyone. As mentioned, there is a reason more have been sold than any other shotgun made.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Spiffy said:
I have a remington 870 exp. and was wanting to get either a Charles Daley semi auto for $280 or a Spartan o/u for $400. I am 16 and like to save where I can. What should I get? I do some skeet, dove, varmint, home defense, etc. Should I sell my 870? 12 or 20 *****?
:arrow: The 870 is twice the gun of either the Charles Daley or spartan even in the express version, so keep it!

:idea: Really stupid comment to make anywhere but especially on a website.

Spiffy :wink:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Spiffy,

The key to any "good" auto is reliability, which is usually sacrificed when manufacturers try to make a low cost gun. I was in your shoes at one time, but managed to fight the urge to buy a cheap gun. This was a good decision on my part as the Benelli Super Black Eagle was released when I was 18. I saved and bought one of the early ones that has been my primary hunting shotgun ever since. I have fired in the neighborhood of 75K-80K rounds through this gun with a minimal amount of malfunctions. (Although I have replaced a couple of recoil links). I still have my 870, however, it has been converted for tactical use.

The bottom line is this....if you can save $350, then you can save $1150. Wait a little longer and get a Benelli or Beretta. It's worth it in the long run. Besides, by that time you may be old enough to purchase the gun on your own instead of through your parents. I guarantee you will enjoy this feeling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts