Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
30,821 Posts
The only real reason to buy an over and under is pride of ownership. Only a medium priced or higher grade over and under can deliver the quality to afford that pride of ownership that comes from using a luxury product. Yes, an over and under provides selection of two different chokes, and if you are target shooting it's very nice to have a shotgun that doesn't spit it's empty shells out on the ground. And, a gas operated semi auto will deliver less felt recoil that a fixed breech gun. But these are very minor points. The overwhelming choice is between owning and using a shotgun that has every little part made to a very high standard of quality, and is a possession that you'll be proud to own and use for the rest of your life and then some,,,,or a mechanical production line repeating shotgun that's made to a price and will give wonderful service as long as you want to use it,,,,but it will never be a fine double gun.

That 870 you already own will point, handle, and shoot about as well as the highest priced double or semi auto you could buy. But it's not scratching the itch,,,,is it?

If you are going to upgrade to a double gun,,,,try a high condition used Browing Citori or Beretta 686 or SKB made Weatherby Orion or a Ruger Red Lable,,,in 12 gauge with three inch chambers and with factory choke tubes.

If you decide you want a semi auto, then buy a Beretta 391, Remington 1100, or if you want the highest quality semi ever made and want to scrounge around to find a nice used gun,,then a Winchester Super X Model One with a 28" barrel and a fixed modified choke.

But do not pretend that any of those guns are really any "better" than the Remington 870 you already own. It might be a better idea to go out and buy two flats of ammo for the gun you have and shoot all that ammo at clay birds at a sporting clays range. :wink:

·
Banned
30,821 Posts
I own a bunch of watches,,,,but no luxury brands such as Rolex. The only reason to own a Rolex (or better grade watch) is pride of ownership. But I do own quite a few Tissots and other medium grade Swiss watches.

After a few years shooting my huge stash of shotguns,,,it dawned on me there wasn't any perfect shotgun. Once you step up from a Mossberg 500 to a Remington 870,,,they all handle, point, and shoot about the same to me.

Nobody "needs" a shotgun. They are toys for grownups. As they come from the factory, they all weigh within a couple of pounds the same, all of them have about 14 1/4 inch LOP on the stocks, about 1 1/2 inch drop at comb, and 2 1/2 inch drop at heel,,,,give or take a few fractions of an inch.
And even that $179 Mossberg Maverick they sell at Wal Mart is a good, safe, reliable shotgun that should last a life time.

But your wife's diamond ring cost a bit of money, didn't it? The price of a good medium grade double gun (over and unders are in fashion now,,,,but they are still all just double guns) is about $1,500. The true luxury shotguns start with a Caesar Guerini at about $3,000,,,and go all the way up to the moon. Not so bad for a once in a lifetime purchase of a luxury good.

For sheer "bang for the buck", it's hard to beat an off the rack Beretta 391. It's an aluminum and plastic modern repeater,,,but it's a helluva good one and their owners just love them.

What amazes me is how Benelli sells their Super Sports for more money than a Beretta 686. But part of the allure of the Benelli is that it's expensive. Just like a Rolex. And if that helps make the owner happy with his gun,,,who's to argue. :wink:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.