Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
creeker said:
Cleaning a gas gun is a hassle vs an O/U.
Benelli recoil operated shotguns are easy to clean.

to the original poster. I have never shot an O/U, but I was considering buying one and had taken a look at several lower end guns. I noticed that they are heavier than my Benelli. The 2 benefits I see for O/U shotguns is that you don't have to bend over to pick up your shells and you can put 2 different size chokes in the same gun. Since I have never shot an O/U, I do not know which gun will give you a faster 2nd shot. I would guess they are close to the same. My Benelli cycles faster than I can get my eye on the target after it recoils. I suggest a semi-auto Benelli.

P.S. I shoot my 870 more than my Benelli.

·
Banned
30,821 Posts
I own a bunch of watches,,,,but no luxury brands such as Rolex. The only reason to own a Rolex (or better grade watch) is pride of ownership. But I do own quite a few Tissots and other medium grade Swiss watches.

After a few years shooting my huge stash of shotguns,,,it dawned on me there wasn't any perfect shotgun. Once you step up from a Mossberg 500 to a Remington 870,,,they all handle, point, and shoot about the same to me.

Nobody "needs" a shotgun. They are toys for grownups. As they come from the factory, they all weigh within a couple of pounds the same, all of them have about 14 1/4 inch LOP on the stocks, about 1 1/2 inch drop at comb, and 2 1/2 inch drop at heel,,,,give or take a few fractions of an inch.
And even that $179 Mossberg Maverick they sell at Wal Mart is a good, safe, reliable shotgun that should last a life time.

But your wife's diamond ring cost a bit of money, didn't it? The price of a good medium grade double gun (over and unders are in fashion now,,,,but they are still all just double guns) is about $1,500. The true luxury shotguns start with a Caesar Guerini at about $3,000,,,and go all the way up to the moon. Not so bad for a once in a lifetime purchase of a luxury good.

For sheer "bang for the buck", it's hard to beat an off the rack Beretta 391. It's an aluminum and plastic modern repeater,,,but it's a helluva good one and their owners just love them.

What amazes me is how Benelli sells their Super Sports for more money than a Beretta 686. But part of the allure of the Benelli is that it's expensive. Just like a Rolex. And if that helps make the owner happy with his gun,,,who's to argue. :wink:

·
Banned
552 Posts
I 2nd the Benelli as THE very best auto.

Get one with the Comfortech stock (Cordoba or SuperSport) and it will tame the recoil as well as any gas auto.

Benelli's are very easy to clean and as reliable as auto's get.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Another vote for Benelli if auto is what you decide you want. I've owned the ultralight, and the vinci, and loved them both.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.