Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I filleted out the breast bones, ribs, thigh bones, and cut off the wings on all of the birds.

Stuffed them with:

Wild Rice/Brown rice with sautéed garlic and onions. I added the chopped gizzards and hearts, chopped water chestnuts, chopped walnuts and semi dried corn bread crushed up. Seasoning: marjoram, rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, pepper.

Put the chukars in the oven for 39 mins (too long…over cooked em…should have been ab 30-32 mins) and the pheasant probably about 43 mins (I forgot to pay attention to the time on the pheasant) at 345 degrees.

The pheasant was just perfect…chukars ok but overcooked.

I took the pan drippings, heated in a pan with some flour, pepper, seasoning, and a dash of red wine, then poured over the top….

It was a good feast. My wife and I ate the chukars and 1/2 of the pheasant. I'll have the other 1/2 bird tomorrow for lunch.

I did an *OK* job on filleting out the bones, which I used for stock made the night before. Added the stock to the stuffing instead of water.

Practice makes perfect…I'll do better next time.

The pan drippings are sure a bonus for oven cooking, but I am sure I ingested a bit more fat this way than cooking on the grill.

I need to get a smoker. Smoked pheasant, smoked chukar, smoked wild turkey…oh yeah…and smoked trout.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.