Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a dumb question,but why is it recommended that you not list the entire serial number of a gun while discussing it on the internet? I find most scams and schemes interesting,and can usually spot the potential,but in this case I'm drawing a blank.I'm sure the answer is simple,so feel free to have fun with me on this one :) .
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Jim, best way to answer that is to suggest you post your serial number from your favorite gun on here, in two hours I'll have the Indiana state police there to look for a gun with the same serial number, it'll take long dollars and a court appearance or two and you still might end up with a firearms theft charge against you.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Marland,
I guess I never really thought of that potential.I've always just assumed that all my guns are free and clear,purchased through "reputable" dealers,etc. I suppose the possibility of any older gun having been stolen at some time could be quite high though.I'll bet with your experience you could tell some real horror stories.I knew a guy in high school that had to pay restitution for stealing an already stolen gun. I never could figure that one out.Especially why the man he stole it from didn't have to pay the guy who had originally owned it.
Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
That isn't a problem here in Canada, since all guns are registered. When you buy a new/used gun, the registration and serial number are transferred from the old owner to the new one. Unfortunately, the buyer has to pay $25 for the transfer. :x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts