Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
Benelli SBE, Savage Fox 16, Browning Citori
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been thinking about posting this for awhile. We are all human. We all do dumb crap. For example I just got done sifting a Mec bottle full of powder that I accidentally poured a small amount of shot into instead of the shot bottle. Knew it immediately, cussed a lot. There’s got to be some entertaining mishaps among you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I’ve been thinking about posting this for awhile. We are all human. We all do dumb crap. For example I just got done sifting a Mec bottle full of powder that I accidentally poured a small amount of shot into instead of the shot bottle. Knew it immediately, cussed a lot. There’s got to be some entertaining mishaps among you.
Oh, gosh yes! I suspect I'm not the only one that has cycled a MEC several times to get the powder drop correct, each time dumping the dropped powder back in the powder bottle, which of course means the red stopper is not in the bottle. THEN, in order to change to a different bushing, I tilt the bottles back - completely forgetting to replace the stopper. Animated (and profane) discussion with myself ensues...

geo

·
Registered
22,913 Posts
If I had a dollar for every time I tipped back the bottles with the stopper off, I would not worry about the high prices of reloading components, I would have more money than I could buy components.
World Font Electric blue Technology Sky
Smile Gesture Font Electric blue Symmetry

cdb

·
Premium Member
9,282 Posts
When I first got my 9000G, I had a few hulls that did not crimp well. I was in the process of dismantling the bad loads and dumping the powder and shot back into the bottles. By accident I dropped a wad in the powder bottle. Just about the time my wife said that dinner was on the table. Not wanting to rock the boat I went and had dinner and completely forgot about the wad in the powder bottle. A few days later I went back to reloading, filled the powder and shot bottles and started pulling the handle. After about 100 shells I started to notice that the crimps were concave......that's when I remembered the wad.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
How about reloading a couple of flats with the powder turned off? I figured something was awry when the shot was nearly empty but the powder was still full.

• Haha
Reactions: Spearheadbill

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a open 8# jug of red dot….
Needless to say after I got the drop weight set right I was 2 powder bushings under the “recommended” bushing. I loaded up some rounds to chronograph, again needless to say that didn’t go as expected. Erratic isn’t quite the word I should use. Upon arriving home I poured out the jug to find in the red dot, some clays, and a unidentifiable rifle powder. It was definitely a lesson in not buying open powders, it appeared that someone cleaned the loading bench into one container.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Tipping the bottles with the caps off, dumping shot into the powder, dropping primer trays, we’ve all been there.

The last good one I remember was the nephew complaining that his 10 gauge loads seemed to have no power. He loaded two boxes on dad’s MEC. I said well let me see them, which everything looked ok, crimps we’re a little mangled up but I am a perfectionist with them. Then I was like well let’s go check the loader which the powder drop was right on, but I happened to glance at the wad bucket and noticed it looked like there was two different types of wads. Turns out 1/2 of his loads had 12 gauge vs 10 gauge wads in them. I was even surprised they lit off at all, but I imagine the blow by on the wad was so severe the shot wasn’t traveling near what it should have been.

It was a good lesson for him as he got to dismantle all the loads, then I sat with him and he showed me how it was loading with a 3.5” 12 gauge wad, which sticks up much farther than a 10 gauge wad. I explained when the stack height is messed up or the wad sticks up something isn’t right and you need to re-evaluate what you are doing. We went through and sorted the wads out, restarted the process and he says to this day that he learned more that day I sat with him explaining everything than he ever had before.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I honestly feel like this thread has already become instructional as well as somewhat therapeutic at least for me. I don’t feel so bad knowing others have done the same things.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh, gosh yes! I suspect I'm not the only one that has cycled a MEC several times to get the powder drop correct, each time dumping the dropped powder back in the powder bottle, which of course means the red stopper is not in the bottle. THEN, in order to change to a different bushing, I tilt the bottles back - completely forgetting to replace the stopper. Animated (and profane) discussion with myself ensues...

geo
Been there with powder and shot. I hate to say it but twice the last time with shot loose cap.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Loaded somebody else's used hulls on my Mec 650 only to discover they wouldn't chamber in my 870.

Rigged up a jr by taking the primer punch off and adding a short bolt that would push out my reloaded shells. Worked good.

This set me up to send 650s out in the Reloaders for Youth program with stand alone resizers only. I'll buy them myself to be sure the kids don't make my same mistake.

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
I haven't dumped any powder tipping an un-stoppered bottle, yet, but I did once with the shot bottle.. and could have loaded a couple flats in the time it took to clean up that mess!

My most common 'aw, $#i+' moment comes when I get distracted and step away from the loader (a MEC 9000) and come back and pull the handle without a wad. I generally load at least 5 or 6 flats in a loading session and manage to miss having a wad at least a couple times.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
My most common 'aw, $#i+' moment comes when I get distracted and step away from the loader (a MEC 9000) and come back and pull the handle without a wad. I generally load at least 5 or 6 flats in a loading session and manage to miss having a wad at least a couple times.
To avoid this, if I am interrupted mid-session I ALWAYS leave the loader with a hull in the resize station and a wad sitting in the wad guide...........guess how I came to do that.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
When I was a new reloader and hot to load shells, I brought home a couple hundred hulls from the range, when it had been a rainy day. I thought they were “dry enough” and loaded them up. Because they were still damp, they were all bloopers.

·
Registered
850 Posts
One of my shooting buddies was opening a bag of west coast shot. Removed the string and pivoted to approach the loader holding it by the lower half of the bag, the top half began to wobble and he tried to set it down on the hood of wife’s Lexus. It continued to fall and half bag of #9s went up the hood and into the vent slots. He never mentioned it to her.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
My biggest reloading failure was reloading for all four skeet gauges.

That's not necessary. Pick two and those will be your practice gauges and constitute 90% of your skeet ammo consumption. Which two gauges to load? If you use your 20 gauge for 12 and Doubles as well as for 20 gauge, that would be an obvious choice. If you are good enough to shoot a considerable amount of practice with 410, then the 410 would be the other gauge to load.

Hey, I know, paying for 28 gauge ammo is painful, but honestly, how much do you need to shoot 28 gauge if you have 20 gauge (and 3/4 oz reloads) and 410s available?

If one was going to make a bold decision and just load one gauge, it would be 28. Use the 28 for your skeet practice and for 28 and 20 gauge registered skeet. But an argument could be made for just loading the 20 in both 7/8 and 3/4 ounce loads. Limit your 410 to just registered shooting...then sell the empties. 12 gauge? New 12 gauge is cheap and the promo grade is well beyond good enough for skeet.

An argument in this age of ammo shortages can be made for reloading all four because of availability.....but....can you buy primers?.....and powder?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was showing my daughter how easy it is to reload with my 9000 just the other day. Wad, empty hull, pull handle. Told her to watch the primer drop and be sure it is sitting correctly before letting the handle up. Two strokes later the primer failed to drop at all, unnoticed by me. Shop vac time and a cup to catch the shot on the next pull. Never fails following “ look how easy this is”.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts