Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Tipping the bottles with the caps off, dumping shot into the powder, dropping primer trays, we’ve all been there.

The last good one I remember was the nephew complaining that his 10 gauge loads seemed to have no power. He loaded two boxes on dad’s MEC. I said well let me see them, which everything looked ok, crimps we’re a little mangled up but I am a perfectionist with them. Then I was like well let’s go check the loader which the powder drop was right on, but I happened to glance at the wad bucket and noticed it looked like there was two different types of wads. Turns out 1/2 of his loads had 12 gauge vs 10 gauge wads in them. I was even surprised they lit off at all, but I imagine the blow by on the wad was so severe the shot wasn’t traveling near what it should have been.

It was a good lesson for him as he got to dismantle all the loads, then I sat with him and he showed me how it was loading with a 3.5” 12 gauge wad, which sticks up much farther than a 10 gauge wad. I explained when the stack height is messed up or the wad sticks up something isn’t right and you need to re-evaluate what you are doing. We went through and sorted the wads out, restarted the process and he says to this day that he learned more that day I sat with him explaining everything than he ever had before.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I've screwed up reloaders, broken bottles, dropped shot, gummed up parts, and spilled powder. Current problem? Years ago ordered a steel kit from mec, and without thinking threw the drop tube into the parts bin. Now I want to reload some large steel shot, and I remember which of the tubes came with the kit - or what made them suitable for steel. Hopefully I didn't inadvertently give it way.
They are wider so as to allow larger shot down the tube. Drop and rammer tube are included I believe.

Liquid Drinkware Fluid Cylinder Bottle

1 - 2 of 2 Posts