Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
Too many
781 Posts
There are a few.

Tilting the top back on my 600 to change bushing and not having the plugs in the bottom of the bottles.

loading 100 rounds from a BPI recipe (using something like 32 gns of Bluedot) in 16 ga without firing a few first. They will literally knock your fillings loose. I still have them.

That’s enough. My brain hurts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don’t like to say it but I probably have made about every mistake there is in loading shot shells. I would like to think I’m perfect when it comes to loading but I’m not. I wish all of you good luck when you’re loading, be safe and careful.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Here's what happens when I let go of the wad too soon - before the guide comes down to the top of the hull. I have to keep the wad up against the bottom of the rammer tube until hits the top of the shell, then let the tube push the wad into the guide & hull.
Green Liquid Cylinder Drink Gas

·
Registered
43 Posts
One of my dumbest stunts was with a dryer sheet and trying to eliminate static one dry winter day. The wadded up dryer sheet ended up in my powder tube because I had left it in the tube cap from the previous powder fill. It took about 200 rounds before I realized the powder level wasn’t dropping as fast as the shot tube. Talk about feeling stupid!

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
Loading 28ga on a MEC 9000E. I didn't watch the primer drop...Well, it flipped.

Wood Drink Cylinder Musical instrument Tints and shades

I tilted back an unplugged shot bottle once, what a mess.
Forgot the wad a few times.
I think I've done most things mentioned in this thread :oops:

·
Registered
Benelli SBE, Savage Fox 16, Browning Citori
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Gotta watch that damn primer or it’s shop vac time. Can’t believe that primer seated inverted must have been perfectly straight they usually crush

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
Gotta watch that damn primer or it’s shop vac time. Can’t believe that primer seated inverted must have been perfectly straight they usually crush
Half seated and partially crushed. A closer view.
Cylinder Gas Circle Auto part Composite material

Reactions: al1969brown

·
Registered
341 Posts
My nemesis is stepping away from the machine for any reason and not leaving it full and ready to pull. The thing I forget to do mostly is place the wad on the shot drop tube. If I could just remember that one..........then there is "I have enough shot to get the next box done - do the next box - and then what the heck do another one only shortly later take a shell out of Station 6 with no shot in it.. Then sometimes a new charge bar is a little sticky and doesn't return all the way until after the carousel is rotated, then it drops the powder on top of the non-seated primer in the next hull which is why God invented shop vacs.

Getting better with this one - change out the bar or the bushing and forget to reconnect the bar return spring.

·
Registered
274 Posts
This should be titled Blunders and Frustrations In Reloading.
Any distraction from the flow of the process can start a bad chain of events.
Recently the Cheddite primers in virgin Remi hulls….what a pain. I have had shot or powder hung in the drop tube and that creates an issue. Buckled cases due to inconsistent lengths or whatever caused that. Or hey Honey come do this and step away from that reloading press……where was I?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
My worst was a couple of years ago, and certainly not the only, was filling the primer tray.
I slid the tray out instead of the cover.
100 primers all over the place. I found 99 that night.
I just found #100 a couple of months ago.

Jim

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had my share of shot/powder spills but they are 99% related to a charge bar sticking and then the ensuing mess afterwards ... I once dumped a charge of powder into my shot bottle ... forgot the put a wad into the fingers and laoded shot on top of the powder .... I now also never walk away from a loading process unless I inserted a shell into the first station and a wad into the fingers .... I never leave the plugs out of the bottle and when I tip the charge assembly I trained myself to a grip putting my index fingers on the plugs so I make sure they are there and tight. I used to have the bouncing primers issue, but that was an adjustment issue I fixed 100% by setting the prime drop as late in the downstroke as possible and the drop tube to literally touch the primer hole in the carousel. Never have this issue again! The other day I forget to lower the primer tray when inserting a primed hull into station 2 then when the second primer ran on top of the first one in the prime station it jumped into the powder tube and got wedged in there ... powder started spilling on the loading stroke and I couldn't figure out why until I looked in there ... took 5 minutes to get that sucker out there .. what are the chances of THAT happening! Should have played powerball that day. There are a number of things that can go wrong on a 9000 and they eventually will. Never had issues with my 600 jr loaders.

Reactions: joe kuhn

·
Registered
101 Posts
Had not done any loading or shooting for a few years. Set up the MEC. Why do the primers keep falling out? They were not 209s. That's how long I've been loading. they were the last of the smaller size from the 60s. (158s?) Still have about 100. --- Not sorting brass well. Running the odd 9mm through the .380 dies. Did you know 44mag will load and fire in 45 long colt? Found that out when a 44 went through the 45 dies. It worked. Then I found the bulged case during the final wipe down. Sort your brass.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts