Shotgun Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I've spilled some shot, and accidentally dumped half a MEC bottle of #7.5 shot into a bag of #5 once. Other than that, no real failures. Some recipes that didn't turn out but not sure that's really failing. Never had any major shot/powder spills yet, but now I'm sure I will drop 10# of bismuth tonight after saying that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Small children.

I pay a nickel for every single BB they find. My floor is spotless.
Grand son was 3 now 10. I had spilled shot, air soft, buck shot,golf balls, and 8 and 16lb shot putt all over the shop. He says "grandpa you got little balls!" Gave him a can and he picked all of them up. He is now the marksman. He beat 20? other kids at Trail Life camp last day. Put all 3 rounds in the same hole in the bullseye standing. This weekend he will learn to shoot flint.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Lets see now....... Yup, got plenty of primers in the tray to finish this box...... hmmmmmm what is that tiny trail of powder following that lead hull on my 9000H???????????
Shop vac time.......... boy, never do that again. Now to fill the primer tray...... as stated above somewhere...... pulled tray, not the sleeve............ shucky darns............. Larry

·
Registered
649 Posts
I was having some slightly dished crimps. The load was right. I had heard placing a Cheerio in the wad would solve it. So I placed one in and went to work. Dropped the tube and dropped the shot. Nothing. What the heck? A short inspection showed the fully dropped tube had crushed the Cheerio. The tube was fully blocked with crushed Cheerio. PITA to stop loading and get the tube cleared.
Lesson learned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Reading all these posts is incredibly therapeutic. Ever since taking up shotshell reloading I thought I was the only moron who could possibly make the mistakes recounted in this thread, including Cheerios in the shot tube. I have made all of them.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Effing shot all over the kitchen table and floor. Dog sniffing around it, wife asking wtf was i thinking and kids asking 'how did that happen daddy?' all at the same time.

That's my reloading failure.

Happens every so often but i'm now older and smarter so it happens in the garage.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I've screwed up reloaders, broken bottles, dropped shot, gummed up parts, and spilled powder. Current problem? Years ago ordered a steel kit from mec, and without thinking threw the drop tube into the parts bin. Now I want to reload some large steel shot, and I remember which of the tubes came with the kit - or what made them suitable for steel. Hopefully I didn't inadvertently give it way.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Just the other day I was consolidating some powders Long Shot and Titewad. I had 3 or 4 bottles of each that did not have much left. Not paying enough attention I mixed the two powders together . I not even sure how much was mixed. There was a lot of one and not much of the other but I have no idea which was which
Any how , I read on this site that gun powder makes good fertilizer is that true?

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Here's what happens when I let go of the wad too soon - before the guide comes down to the top of the hull. I have to keep the wad up against the bottom of the rammer tube until hits the top of the shell, then let the tube push the wad into the guide & hull.
View attachment 56179
Not to change direction for the thread but IMO, if you're having to hold the wad up onto the tube, something ain't right. I simply set a wad on top of the wad guide fingers and I'm done. I've never held a wad anywhere.

And on a little different topic, the Cheerios go on top of the shot at the pre-crimp station.
🍺

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've screwed up reloaders, broken bottles, dropped shot, gummed up parts, and spilled powder. Current problem? Years ago ordered a steel kit from mec, and without thinking threw the drop tube into the parts bin. Now I want to reload some large steel shot, and I remember which of the tubes came with the kit - or what made them suitable for steel. Hopefully I didn't inadvertently give it way.
They are wider so as to allow larger shot down the tube. Drop and rammer tube are included I believe.

Liquid Drinkware Fluid Cylinder Bottle

·
Registered
490 Posts
Not to change direction for the thread but IMO, if you're having to hold the wad up onto the tube, something ain't right. I simply set a wad on top of the wad guide fingers and I'm done. I've never held a wad anywhere...
Thanks for saying something. I went right down and checked the height of my wad guide and look at the space between the guide and the hull that could be reduced and possibly fix this, although I don't how it might help at the moment.
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle fork Bicycle frame

The guide is a flip out version for long steel wads, but I'm going to lower it and see if I can begin dropping the wad and have it work. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Not to change direction for the thread but IMO, if you're having to hold the wad up onto the tube, something ain't right. I simply set a wad on top of the wad guide fingers and I'm done. I've never held a wad anywhere.

And on a little different topic, the Cheerios go on top of the shot at the pre-crimp station.
🍺
Had the same problem on a 600. Turns out the shell holder was slightly bent upwards, which allowed the shell to wobble, putting it out of line. Holding the wad helped (suspect having to go slower stopped the shell from rattling around) but didn't stop the problem. Had to take the holder off and flatten it out.

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Joe,
I'm not sure what loader you're using (I do see some MEC looking parts in the pic. ??) but I went and checked my 9000 and an early Grabber and the space between the top of the shell and the bottom of the wad guide, with the handle up, is about 1/2". A tic more on the 9000 with the newer wad guide and a bit less on the old style Grabber.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Joe,
I'm not sure what loader you're using (I do see some MEC looking parts in the pic. ??) but I went and checked my 9000 and an early Grabber and the space between the top of the shell and the bottom of the wad guide, with the handle up, is about 1/2". A tic more on the 9000 with the newer wad guide and a bit less on the old style Grabber.
Mine's a handle driven 9000 and the space is 5/8". Hm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not to me - but to a customer. Very memorable....
Have to 'set the stage': Mid-1970's, I was young and working p/t at a LGS. Pre-internet, pre-YouTube.
Our shop was the largest go-to location for any and all reloading supplies of all types.
Our main line of shotshell loading gear was MEC.

Guy comes in after Opening Day of Dove Season. Says his shells he just loaded sounded 'like dynamite'.
Pulled his t-shirt away and showed the entire upper right quadrant of his chest and shoulders black and blue.
Said he just took his MEC outta storage and used all the same components that he ALWAYS used, except he must've grabbed the wrong wads, 'cuz his normal WW AA12 1 1/8 oz wads seemed too long. So, he simply substituted a WW AA12R (red) 1 1/4 oz. wad and all looked well. Perfect crimp.
He was shooting a Browning 12 ga. A5. Killed a few birds but couldn't understand why the gun was almost giving him a nosebleed and killing his shoulder.

Asked him to bring in some loaded shells and his MEC press.
We dissected some shells. Don't recall the powder, but there was almost 50 gr. of it!
Took out the MEC's charge bar - there was NO powder bushing in it!
Yep, he'd taken it out at some forgotten point and substituted the shorter wad and loaded up all his dove shells.

A lesson learned - and a testament what an A5 shotgun can survive!

·
Registered
BT99, TT15 sporting, Winchester SXP Trap
6 Posts
My FIL has loaded almost a whole flat of shells and forgot to get them from the bucket with new primers. They still had spent primers. He has a lee load all and will deprime/reprime a bucket of shells and then go back and load them. It seems faster to split up the steps I guess. But not when you have to use a dental pick to take them apart. :ROFLMAO:

41 - 60 of 74 Posts