Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what do you all use to carry your shells when you hunt?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I use an old cartridge belt, plus if I'm hunting rabbits or anything I'm likely to fire a lot of shots I put extra shells in my jacket and sometimes in a backpack.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
For upland hunting, I use the pockets of the vest or jacket I'm wearing. Those elastic things that come on vests are an ammo maker's dream. They stretch and dump the shells after a little use. Of course, the pockets must be deep and one must be able to zip, snap, button, or otherwise close a flap to keep hulls from falling out. I just bought a shell belt and am going to try that this year. It works well while dog training and testing, just not sure how comfortable it will be for all day use.
For waterfowl, I use a small carry bag to put the shells in. Once at the blind, I set a box where it will be handy. I put a half dozen or so in my pocket in case I have to leave the blind to chase a cripple.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i use a hand me down .... its my dads old leather cartridge belt 25 seems plenty for rabbits and pheasents.... when deer or turkey hunting 3 in the shotgun and another 3-4 in my jacket... cause i dont think ill use more than that

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Dove Hunting: Mossy Oak Fanny pack that will hold 2 boxes of shells, ear plugs and about 10 birds if packed right.

Quail Hunting: Remington Vest has great pockets and shell holders within the pockets.

Turkey I remove my plug and just carry them in the magazine

Deer Hunting I use a gun stock shell holder it holds 5 shells but I have to be careful to not knock them out

Clays I use a shooting vest that I may try out this fall for dove. It's black and tan and can hold 2 boxes of shells

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Normally a cammo hunting vest when dove hunting. It's mostly mesh so it's not too hot. I did have the same problem with shells slipping out of the elastic loops. I started putting the shells in brass first and the problem went away. I also use a 5 shell butt cuff. I find that I can pull shells out of the butt cuff faster than my vest or fanny pack.
regards,
Jay Gentry
Shotgunworld.com

·
Registered
30 Posts
For Deer hunting, the shells get transported to the hunting area in a fanny pack. Once at the site, I load into the shotgun, 5 is all I carry when in the field.

For turkey hunting, they are in my vest pocket, again, once I am in place, the 5 of them go into the shotgun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts