Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Need to add a shell catcher to the 1100. I'd like to hear opinions about the Birchwood Casey and the T&S. T&S looks to
be the easiest to use but I'm concerned about scratching the buling on the receiver. Your thoughts please.
Thanks,
rich

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I use a Birchwood Casey "Save It" on the 1100 Classic Trap I bought new in Dec, 2005.

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/acc ... rodcat=129

I have had a long history with the basic type which is an update of the Pedersen Save It..

My wife shot trap from 1987 to 1997, her favorite gun; an 1100TA Trap. She used a Petersen and put about 40,000 rounds through the gun with that catcher. She liked it so well, she had one on her 1100 sporting 28 (Petersen's used to be made in the small gauges) and 11-87 Sporting Clays; and they performed well.

I certainly did not select a Save It because of its good looks , I find them very functional.

I like them over the TS because in my experience, they work better. I have never had one fail to grab a shell, where I have seen numerous people have to furiously shake a fired shell out of a TS equipped gun because it fell back in the receiver. I don't need that on the line.

It can be folded down to easily drop a live shell out if there is a need to unload due to a problem on the line.

One thing I do right away with these, though. They come with a funny looking red, soft plastic tip on the wire that is supposed to keep the end of the wire from scratching the receiver, just behind the ejector port. These come off too easily with bad results. Fortunatley I was aware of this and did not find out with the new 1100CT.

I take a piece of insulated house elecrical wiring, I forget the size . I use wire strippers to take a 1/2" long piece of black wire insulation which I slip over the end of the wire. It hangs on and because it is black, IMHO, looks better.

I did this on my wife's 1100TA in 1988 and it hung in very well, I think I replaced it once in 40,000 rounds.

The two sided tape hat comes with the Brirchwood Casey is pron to degrading with oil. I use the two sided automotive trim tape, the stuff that is as thin as the original Birchwood Casey tape. It doesn't damage the bluing in any way and can be removed with gun solvent.

As for marking the receiver, the TS will leave marks, over time, where it clips on at the ejector port and at the bottom of the receiver, near the loading port. The Birchwood Casey pins the shell between it's spring wire and the bottom edge of the ejector port which polishes the bluing off, you don't see this when viewing the gun from the side though. I would rather not have any wear but prefer the wear pattern on the Birchwood Casey.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I use the T&S shell catcher on my 1100. It works well, and I like it, but two considerations:

1) My shell catcher will slowly slide to the rear as I shoot. Eventually, it will bind against the bolt, which puts the gun out of action until I disassemble it...not very good on the line. Now I just keep my eye on it, and occasionally snap it off and back on when it starts to slide back.

2) This shell catcher will wear some bluing off of the receiver...no big deal to me, but it may bother others.

bluedsteel

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
bluedsteel said:
I use the T&S shell catcher on my 1100. It works well, and I like it, but two considerations:

1) My shell catcher will slowly slide to the rear as I shoot. Eventually, it will bind against the bolt, which puts the gun out of action until I disassemble it...not very good on the line. Now I just keep my eye on it, and occasionally snap it off and back on when it starts to slide back.

2) This shell catcher will wear some bluing off of the receiver...no big deal to me, but it may bother others.

bluedsteel
I'd constantly adjusted mine when I used it to avoid it sliding back on the line. It became a habit like a smoker having something in their hand.
I had no blueing left in a shape of a square after years of use. It will become a big deal.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
shoot more said:
I have a Rem 1100 comp that I put a TS on today and it worked great..
And after a few years of using it were are you going to get the nickel teflon receiver redone?

·
Registered
14 Posts
You have a very good point, I hope it does not get to bad. The way that thing snaps on there I could see it causing damage after a while. That was what the pro shop had so I bought it. What do you suggest ????

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Well if you page up Claydust has a link

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/acc ... rodcat=129

The birchwood casey I have seen and it seems to work well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Otherwise my link

http://www.tommortonandcompany.com/mecshelcat.html

I haven't seen this or used it, but researching it it seems like the only thing going for any sort of doubles catching them and it also saves the guns finish.

·
Registered
773 Posts
T&S makes two shellcatchers for the 12 gauge 1100 - a teflon-coated steel model and a plastic version w/steel center. Get the plastic one and you won't mar the receiver.

As to them slipping back while shooting. Yeah, that'll happen after a number of shots sometimes. To counter put a dab of two-sided tape on it and she'll stay put, still easy to remove for doubles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
After reading Claydust's report on the Birchwood Casey, I was ready to spring for one. However, I preferred the look and the ease of removal of the T&S model. On the T&S website, there is a disclaimer that there have been a few instances, when using one on an 1100 Classic Trap, that the clearance isn't sufficient to allow the bolt to close -- the bolt handle binds-up on the shell catcher; well, guess what -- I have one of those. So, it goes back and I just ordered the Birchwood Casey. Guess I should've done that in the beginning....!

vic

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
vico512 said:
On the T&S website, there is a disclaimer that there have been a few instances, when using one on an 1100 Classic Trap, that the clearance isn't sufficient to allow the bolt to close -- the bolt handle binds-up on the shell catcher; well, guess what -- I have one of those.
It isn't just the 1100CT.

My wife's 1100TA was made in 1984 and it has the same problem with the T&S; I think this may be why she got a good deal on it, used in 1988. When buying it, we were aware of the old Pedersen Save-It that the Brichwood Casey is based on. The gun is flawless in performance with the Save-It.

The other thing with the Birchwood Casey, you do not wind up being one of those shooters I see franticly shaking the gun on it's side trying to retrieve the odd fired shell that bounces back into the receiver after firing.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Claydust said:
The other thing with the Birchwood Casey, you do not wind up being one of those shooters I see franticly shaking the gun on it's side trying to retrieve the odd fired shell that bounces back into the receiver after firing.
:lol: How true that is...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm looking forward to receiving it -- my 1100CT has a little nub on the barrel extension that tends to knock the shells downward toward your feet, but I'm sure the shell catcher will save me a lot of time and hassle retrieving my hulls for reloading (and get less complaints from the rest of the squad while I'm groveling around on the ground).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.