Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with a shell deflector on a semi-auto? I have a 391 and am considering having the delfector installed, not the catcher. Anyone information / recommedations will be appreciated.:D

G

·
The one I used for my model 1100 Trap worked so poorly - someitmes catching them and sometimes not that I sold the gun and am going with a single barrel. the intermitant dropped shells was disruptive and broke my concentration.

Plus, I am distracted by others who shoot pumps or semi autos on the stations in my trap line.

My advice, get an over and under or single barrel and forget the problem!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thought I posted a reply to this one, but it seems to have disappeared.

I've tried a few catchers and deflectors, but not all of them. Here's my .02:

Carey makes a deflector only piece that attaches to your receiver with adhesive. It uses an adjustable screw to knock the spent shells either close to your feet or just off to the side (nowhere near the shooter to your side).

I have a Beretta 391 Trap and I'm using the combination Carey Bolt closer and shell deflector. I don't use the shell catcher insert, but it's there if I ever need it. Works great. It's a breeze to load shells (no fidgeting).

I don't care for the T&S catcher. It's hard on your receiver finish and you have to fidget around with you shell when you are loading. Personally, I want to think about breaking the target, not furiously working to get that one difficult shell inserted.

Some shooters have had a gunsmith manufacture a piece of metal that protrudes from the receiver a bit to deflect shells. I just didn't want to make that modification without being first able to evaluate the results.

Jeff G.
Olathe, KS

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have a 303 beretta and use a carey deflector and it works great.All the mt's land down near my right foot,maybe 2 feet away,but you will have to experiment with the set screw to get it set right. sj :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.