Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they work?where does it throw them to. I have an AL390 that I will be shooting left handed,would that bother anyone shooting with me or along side of me? thanks. sj :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
sjones said:
Do they work?where does it throw them to. I have an AL390 that I will be shooting left handed,would that bother anyone shooting with me or along side of me? thanks. sj :)
Shell catcher or shell deflector, both made to keep from hitting your friend to the right of you (or left in your case) with the empty shell from your semi-auto.

A deflector will just keep the empty from flying so far as to hit the other person. Generally just deflects the shell downward instead of outward.

Shell catchers actually catch the shell and hold it in some form. Some are like small nylon bags that attach to the gun in some form and cover the ejection port, thus catching the empty in the bag. Another type of catcher is the T&S style catcher that works on many guns. Ingenious little item that just pops onto the side of the gun, and will catch ONE shell at a time, and just one. If you have two shots as in doubles for instance, the first shell hits the ground, and the final/second shell stays at the ejection port (sorta half in, half out). Here's the T&S web site that details that design:

http://www.tandsshellcatcher.com/products.htm

And finally the easiest form of shell catcher - just take thick rubber band and slip it over your gun so it restricts the ejecting shell to either not fly so far, or actually catch it. Never tried this myself, but I hear it works...

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've never seen the little mesh bag that hangs off the gun. That would be interesting (if potentially ugly). I'd also be slightly concerned about it getting singed (or catching fire, worst case. :))

The T&S catcher is meant to be removed for doubles. I think if you tried to use is in doubles you'd get misfeeds. It basically stovepipes the shell in the ejection port, so feeding the second shell is not going to work properly. T&S does make one for the Beretta though (unlike my gun).

I haven't seen a deflector that works well. The ones I've seen only work some times, depending on how the shell is ejected. The Nu-Line deflector for the Win Super X-1 is a joke. The most accepted deflector involves welding a bead on the barrel shroud inside the ejection port so it pops the shell out at an odd angle.

Also, from his post, I assume the original poster is a lefty shooting a righty gun. Good luck.

-- Sam

·
Registered
187 Posts
SamL said:
I've never seen the little mesh bag that hangs off the gun. That would be interesting (if potentially ugly). I'd also be slightly concerned about it getting singed (or catching fire, worst case. :))
Yes on all accounts:

SamL said:
The T&S catcher is meant to be removed for doubles. I think if you tried to use is in doubles you'd get misfeeds. It basically stovepipes the shell in the ejection port, so feeding the second shell is not going to work properly. T&S does make one for the Beretta though (unlike my gun).
I just went back over to the T&S web site, and you're absolutely right! I must have been thinking of something else I've read somewhere recently about a different shell catcher, but for the life of me I just can't remember what or where it was I read that now - sorry... :oops:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:) I am a right hand shooter,have been for over 50 years,but ny left eye is the master and my instructor said to try switching over to thw left side.I have been closing my left eye just before shooting and shooting one eyed. I just started in skeet and trap to get me ready for bird season,then got hooked on both of them.I've only shot either one about 10 to 15 times and the best I've done so far is 17 on both games.I hope I can make the switch.I tried the tape on the glasses and did'nt care for it. sj :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts