Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a Winchester Super X-1 Trap Model and so far love the gun. I was wondering if someone could bring me up to speed on shell deflectors and/or catchers that can be used with this model.

I've read up a bit on catchers, and it seems the most widely suggested is a simple heavy wire unit that requires drilling the barrel to mount. I'm not real thrilled with this idea, nor the need to remove it for doubles, so I'm primarily looking at deflectors at this time. (Though if anyone has suggestions for other catchers I'm all ears.)

As for deflectors, I'm getting a bit confused. It appears some people refer to what I would call an "ejector" (internal part of the breech that kicks cartridges out of a handgun) as a "deflector" in a shotgun. Is this correct? If so, this isn't what I'm looking for...

What I'm thinking of is an externally mounted device that would simply change the trajectory of an ejected shell such that it doesn't hit the shooter to my right. I don't reload, so if the hull hits the ground at my feet it doesn't bother me. Does anyone know of a unit like this that will work on the Super X-1?

Thanks in advance,

-- SamL

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Hey SamL,
Try this link http://www.nulineguns.com/superx-parts-list.htm.

As for deflectors, I'm getting a bit confused. It appears some people refer to what I would call an "ejector" (internal part of the breech that kicks cartridges out of a handgun) as a "deflector" in a shotgun. Is this correct? If so, this isn't what I'm looking for...
You're right about the ejector and deflector. A deflector will change the path of the ejected shell.

regards,
Jay Gentry
Shotgunworld.com

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, Nu-Line's page was one of the sources of my confusion. With no description or pictures, and as its listed with all the other "stock" parts, I assumed it was a replacement piece for something that came on the gun. (I now see that they offer both a deflector and an ejector as separate units.)

Has anyone ever installed one of the Nu-Line deflectors? I've emailed them and asked for a description, but I'm hoping someone here can give me some first hand knowledge.

-- Sam

G

·
I have one of the deflectors. It hooks to the side of the reciever with some 2 face tape. I don't like it as I can see it while shooting. I also have a T&S shell catcher and ground away bolt handle. I've also rigged up beretta 390 catchers to work in place of the T&S but you still need the bolt handle. Finally, I spent $35 to have my gun "wired". Much cleaner installation but a hassle to remove. I use the wire most of the time but when needing more than 1 shot I just squad up with other automatic shooters and we chuck shells at each other. Once I was able to put together a squad of 5 guys with X-1's :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, you dug up an oldie. :)

I ended up getting one of the Nu-Line deflectors. It's a joke. Scratches the gun, and doesn't work. Most of the shells get ejected without ever coming into contact with the deflector.

I've bent (er, "adjusted") mine a bit in an attempt to get it to work better, didn't help. Best bet was to wrap the end over the ejection port with some heavy leather, which does make it contact about half the ejected shells.

But then I got a Winchester O/U and viola! Problem solved. :)

-- Sam

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
elber said:
Sam,

Since you mentioned it - What kind of Winchester O/U did you get? And how do you like it?

-elber
I got the Supreme Select Sporting, and really like it. I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it, and just did 125 rounds with it last night with absolutely no discomfort. I wrote a rather verbose review on it here.

Great gun for the money (~$1100). Dare I say, maybe the best gun for that money, at least for me, as I did a bunch of research before settling on that model.

-- Sam

G

·
I just received my TS shell catcher and used it for the first time. It's made of black plastic and just snaps on the side of the gun below the open chamber. Worked pretty well. About half of the casings were left protruding from the chamber, the other half dropped back down so I had to roll the gun over a bit to pick them out. My teammates thanked me :wink: It's easy to remove, just pop it off and you're ready for pairs. It was a cheap, easy solution that didn't alter the gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.