Shotgun Forum banner

How many oz/grams/grains do you shoot?

• 1 1/8 oz (32gr) more is better!

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • 1 oz (28gr). Because I like fitasc

Votes: 62 56.9%
  • 7/8 (24gr). I think olympic trap shooters know what they're doing

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • 3/8 (21gr). Because I don't like recoil (and it's cheap)

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have different shells in my pockets, depending on a situation I can use anything from 7/8 to 1 1/8

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • for those who noticed a typo: 3/4 oz

Votes: 4 3.7%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Save yourself some worries , put whatever you chose on the patterning board at the distance you feel
most uncomfortable with and see , how they do ! Your ability will convince you to shoot what's most
comfortable with good confidence each time you go out ! That's most important !

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Save yourself some worries , put whatever you chose on the patterning board at the distance you feel
most uncomfortable with and see , how they do ! Your ability will convince you to shoot what's most
comfortable with good confidence each time you go out ! That's most important !
Yes, you're right! But what is "comfortable"? For a new shooter comfortable is ... 22lr. Shotgun recoil is harsh and a lot. I do remember how I brought federal dove loads and someone gave me reloads.. I was surprised.

This is not to find a magic load. This is to create an initial point for a new shooter. So one can quickly make a choice at the LGS. Instead of reading tons of info in internet on "what shell load is better and why antimony is so important" or "how recoil impacts our ability to regain gun control after the shot". And start shooting without creating any kind of doubt in shell capabilities and focusing on shooting itself.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Yes, you're right! But what is "comfortable"? For a new shooter comfortable is ... 22lr. Shotgun recoil is harsh and a lot. I do remember how I brought federal dove loads and someone gave me reloads.. I was surprised.

This is not to find a magic load. This is to create an initial point for a new shooter. So one can quickly make a choice at the LGS. Instead of reading tons of info in internet on "what shell load is better and why antimony is so important" or "how recoil impacts our ability to regain gun control after the shot". And start shooting without creating any kind of doubt in shell capabilities and focusing on shooting itself.
There's one Fact that's for sure , if you're shooting a shell that's comfortable and you're having fun , that means
you are successful up to your ability ! Your ability can only go up , from there ! Likewise , if what you shoot only
provides you with bad mechanics , your ambitions to get better deteriorate with dis-comfort !

1 oz of #8's (410) pellets at 1200 fps will break 90 percent of (MOST) targets thrown in Trap and Sporting !
Stepping up to a more quality premium shell , would be the next step . IMHO

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's one Fact that's for sure , if you're shooting a shell that's comfortable and you're having fun , that means
you are successful up to your ability ! Your ability can only go up , from there ! Likewise , if what you shoot only
provides you with bad mechanics , your ambitions to get better deteriorate with dis-comfort !

1 oz of #8's (410) pellets at 1200 fps will break 90 percent of (MOST) targets thrown in Trap and Sporting !
Stepping up to a more quality premium shell , would be the next step . IMHO
Agree with everything you're saying. The problem here is that it's super hard to define this 'comfort' because it depends on many things not solely on a shell load but bunch of other parameters.
Gun type, gun weight, individuals themselves are very different (in size and "tolerance"), shell speed, recreational vs competion, etc , etc

The goal here is to collect statistics and let people see what is "normal", what is "average" in sporting clays this days.

Who knows? may be fitasc will make a change and enforce 24gr load (to get compaq into olympics) - it will change everything.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
When shell selection is a question for a shooter , he needs trigger-time ! That time spent is reading
all the helpful positioning ideas of stance and mounting routines to be consistent , not a time to be
wondering if the recoil is going to leave a bruise ? Shooting fitasc ammo isn't needed to move up in
class in sporting or being punched back to the 25 yd line ? I would agree a well FITTED gun does
allow comfortable shooting with a 3 dm shell but a 1 oz load at 1150 to 1200 is more fun to shoot !

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I will say , total concentration on the flight of the target is most important ! Having your thoughts interrupted
by fatigue from recoil will delay your progress , be kind to yourself , shoot a shell that's comfortable !

·
Registered
22,884 Posts
I reload, and all I shoot is 7/8 ounce.

cdb

Reactions: stevehaun

·
Registered
35 Posts
With the shells available nowadays, I'll go with what I can find for Sporting and obviously shoot FITASC with 1 ounce. That said, I voted for 1 1/8oz in the poll. I'll also be quick to remind folks, not like y'all need it, but there are some 1 1/8 loads from really great manufacturers that are 1200fps or less (down to 1145fps) that are really comfortable to shoot. Win AAs & B&Ps come to mind as do Fiocchi & RX & Gamebore, but finding them is the proverbial "bi**h". I doubt very few of us, me INCLUDED, could tell in a blind test the difference between Win Super Targets/Fed Top Guns/Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics/Rem Gun Clubs and any of the premium shells made by the aforementioned companies. The shells and the guns nowadays are better than 90% of the shooters, again, including me.

I wish I could shoot Little Rhinos and Gamebore Golds all the time, but I can't! Hell, I shot 150 Sporting targets this morning with a mix of Estates/Shooting Dynamics and a handful of Top Guns thanks to shortages of shells like I have never seen.

Good Shooting & God Bless

·
Registered
19 Posts
I reload 7/8 for charity shoots, some fun shoots and practice. I'm old and although I don't think recoil bothers me a sore neck the next day makes me cranky. Mostly I shoot 1 oz 8's with a few 1 1/8, 7 1/2s for longish targets and trap type shots. I believe that when I miss 2 ounces of shot would not help me.

·
Registered
26,624 Posts
Since I reload, it is 3/4oz in 12 and 20 for practice and grins and giggles. For tournaments, it is whatever is legal in factory form

·
Premium Member
Kolar Regal Flat Rib Sporting - K-80 Super Scroll Sporting
150 Posts
I went from 1 1/8 oz to 1 oz about 15 years ago due to headaches caused by the recoil of my shotgun. I recently started shooting sporting clays seriously again after about 6 years off and I naturally loaded up on 1 oz shells. However, I had several flats of 1 1/8 shells so I shot some of them a couple of times and did hot have any recoil problems with them. I have recently changed guns and the new gun apparently absorbs recoil better. I shoot 1 oz 7 1/2's at 1250 and the 1 1/8 were at 1200, both premium ammo. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to have another 12.5% of shot so I ordered six flats of 1 1/8 STS's and I will see what happens.

Rocky

1 - 20 of 26 Posts