Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now I've shot a few rounds of trap and had some fun, found out I'm not awful at it.
I figure I need to buy a shell pouch of some sort. Up to now, I've been putting the box on the ground and dropping 5 shells in my pocket at each station. Actually works pretty well.
I like the way the row of five in the box works - I'm always sure of the number of shots I've taken at each station. I think I want one of the pouches that the whole box goes into.
Everyone I've seen at the club uses the other kind of pouch where you dump the box of shells in.
Am I missing something or is there not much difference. What do you prefer?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Your idea is not unreasonable.

For years I used the small "box" type pouch that hung on a belt and I liked it for the very same reason you think you would like it for. there was never a doubt in my mind how many shots I would have left to shoot at any one station--I simply had to look down at the pouch and see how many shells I had let on the "row".

I still use it along with a 'bag' to put the hulls into when I extract them from the gun.

I think my 'box pouch' came from the ATA--they have lots of goodies for sale.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I use a 1/2 vest, with ppoclets on both sides. When I start out, I put 5 shells in the right pocket. When that pocket is empty, I know it is time to change stations, and I then transfer 5 shells from the left pocket to the right. I have not been saving my empties, but I could easily put them in the "game pocket" out back. I will likely start saving the empties soon, as I thinik I'll be buying a reloader.

For the price conscious, a Lowe's/Home Depot nail pouch can also be used to hold the shells. When I forget my 1/2 vest, I have one of these handy!

G

·
Try Wal-Mart, they have a nice divided shell pouch for $13.00 and also have the Mesh emptie's bag.

At Gamaliel, www.gamaliel.com, they sell a nylon shell box holder that clips on your belt. You shoot a layer of shells (5) at each station. V/R TonyG

·
Registered
139 Posts
I use the simple $4.97 single box holder from walmart, and a seperate clip on bag for empties.
I have the bigger traditional type pouch, but i dont like how the box fits in there, and I dont want to try to count how many rounds I have shot at each station.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. The only box style holder I could find (and that was an hour drive) was the Browning Broken Birds one. Used it today and I'm happy with it.
It has the box holder up high and a hull pouch low. Along with a holder for a few accessories.
I don't reload but the hull pouch worked for a great tip from another thread - misses went in the pouch. When I was done it was easy to calculate my score.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Tony has a good sugestion with the Walmart option, however I don't like the light weight nylon web belt that comes with that one. I swapped it with a military surplus web belt, much more substantial.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i use my shotgun 25 round ammo belt 4 the live rounds 4 the used up ones i have my gi fanny pack works fine 4 me. the fanny pack hooks right on to the belt .

·
Registered
470 Posts
I use the same belt-pouch that TonyG mentions from Wal-Mart. $12.87 or something like that and it will easily hold 25 shells in the box for a round of trap. If you took them out of the box you'd probally fit 50 in there and its got a divider so u could put your empties (if you're req'd to collect them) on the other side of the divider.

73, Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.