Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son just bought me a 535 but when i shoot it and cycle the next shell it falls out the bottom. if i work the action fast without shooting it it works fine but when i fire the first round and pump the next one in about 90% of the time somehow the shell falls out the bottom of the gun. any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
My best guess would be that your primary shell stop is bent incorrectly. Take it out and try to bent it slightly so the hook on the end that sits against the shell rim is bent in just a bit more. Don't over bend it or the action bar won't cam it off correctly. If this makes no sense to you just call Mossberg and order a new primary shell stop. They cost under $10.00 I think.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Shouldn't cost you anything, Mossberg's pump guns are under warranty for 10 years, their customer service will send you the parts to let you try and fix it yourself 1st... give them a call...

Something else you might want to try, make sure you're shoving the shell all the way ino the mag tube, I've had problems with my 535 if I didn't stick the shells in the mag tube deeper than I thought they needed to go....

Smitty

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i took the shell stopper out and bent it a hair. it looked like it wasnt catching the shell much. took it out and shot it and it is fine now. thanks for help

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had this problem with my 500, and I've seen other posts recommending bending the "shell stopper". But no one has posted a picture--which one of those little bars in the receiver is the shell stopper? If you could describe it as the one on the left or right side looking down on the top of the receiver I could maybe figure it out from there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Duane Hughes said:
I've had this problem with my 500, and I've seen other posts recommending bending the "shell stopper". But no one has posted a picture--which one of those little bars in the receiver is the shell stopper? If you could describe it as the one on the left or right side looking down on the top of the receiver I could maybe figure it out from there.
Looking top-down it's the bar on the left hand side.

If you hold the shotgun upside down like you are loading the magazine, with the stock in your belly, then it's the bar on the right hand side. There is a diagram of this in my owner's manual, yours may or may not have a diagram based on vintage I suppose.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Duane, I not computer savvy so I can post a link but if you check out my post "question on cleaning" someone posted a good link on how to break down a 500 and describes the different parts and where there at, might be able to help....

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
mine sometimes fall out of the 535 when i shot skeet with it. i just figured i was bouncing it out...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i just took it out, put a little pressure on it near where it stops the shell. put it back in and tried it. i could tell right away that it was on the shell further.if you bend it to much it wont let the shell come out.the lip is on the shell about 1/16" and it works perfect any less and they would fall out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts