Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Ithaca lovers forum also, but figured I would get better exposure here.

I have a 1968 Ithaca 37 12 gauge that has a problem with most reloads (regardless of shell) and some new factory shells hanging up in magazine constriction just in front of shell catch. The magazine is free from imperfections, it just has a really tight tolerance.

Is there a simple fix for this? Is this a common problem?

Thanks for any advice.

Rob Merkel

·
Registered
192 Posts
My 12ga 37RD will do this also with reloads.
I never use the gun much so I never bothered with it. I suppose you could open it up a little, but you would have to remove the mag. tube to gain access to the area you have to relieve.

On my 12ga 37S reloads will stick up in the mag. tube on firing. I use it only for targets and installed a longer plug in the mag. so you can only insert the one shell in the mag. just past the stop. Problem solved!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I miked the shells that get through, anything over .884 will hang up. Does anyone have any advice on how to cheaply hone this out several thousands of an inch? I need to get it to .887 at the least. There appears to be plenty of material to work with.

Rob Merkel

·
Registered
192 Posts
You would have to remove the mag. tube. Make a hardwood jig to support the mag. tube while you turn the reciever. Once the tube has been removed you should be able to relieve the area with a half round file.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went and looked at my 37 and for the life of me can't figure out the hardwood jig idea. Does the magazine tube unscrew off the receiver? I'm pretty handy with a file and have a basement full of woodworking tools so making a jig should be a walk in the park for me if I can figure out how it looks and works.

Thanks, Rob.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a constriction where the mag tube fits into the receiver, it is part of the receiver and is less than an inch long. The shells that hang in my Ithaca run right through a BPS and an 870 without a hitch. They also fit into all my doubles.

Rob.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts