Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make shims for an O/U to alter the cast on a Browning Citori. It seems as though thye do this with autoloaders quite often but is anything available for the Citori?

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rollin, yes, after cast at heel. My best estimates, Which are usually extremely close, I need 3/8 of an inch of cast at heel. W/o moving the comb. The gun is an xs special, it has a parallel comb. I am sending the gun out to Montana to get the stock re- inletted. I was looking for a shim that I could put in to avoid sending the gun out. I cannot offset the comb enough w/o causing other problems and rolling my head onto the stock. Being not enough cast there is no "easy & smooth" mount for me. I have to roll/smash my head into the stock. a complex move that takes away focus on the target, hard to be repeatable too.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rollin Oswald said:
Bryan,

My previous post has been edited so it makes more sense now.

If the stock is re-inletted to create cast at the heel, will not the stock angle back at the receiver with the comb also moving in the same direction? Might not having a pad adjuster installed give you the cast at the heel you want without affecting the position of the comb?
I have a Gracoil LOP adjustible installed.

Rollin Oswald said:
That leaves me with a couple of questions but I thought I'd offer it as a suggestion.
Excellent, I'm sure I can't be the only one with this problem.

Rollin Oswald said:
What you wrote suggests that the stock is in the way and prevents your aligning your eye with the rib without laying your cheek on the comb. If that is correct, you are correct in trying to find a way to move the stock to the right.

The down side is that the comb would have to be moved in the opposite direction the butt is moved. That would leave the comb protruding 3/8" from the stock below it. I don't thing it would work. The side of your face could easily be be abraded during the barrel rise all guns have during recoil.

You may need an offset stock - one that zigs out at the wrist and then zags back just ahead of the comb. That may also contain a bit of wishful thinking. If you are sending your gun to S&S Plus in Polson, MT, be sure they understand what you need and why you need it.
What I am achieving with the cast off, rh shooter, is the cast will move the heel of the gun away. Yes it will "angle" and that is exactly what I am looking for. I have a wide jaw in relation to the narrowness of my eyes. I have a hard time buying binoculars for this reason and I actually had to "modify" a set that I already had. I am actually looking to move the stock over as well as the comb to get the needed eye alignment. The gun right now I cannot get enough offset in the comb. If I move it all the way to the right that creates other problems. The cast will allow me to get the gun under my eye where it needs to be. I can shoot some good scores on easy to moderate SC courses. When the targets get to be " real fast" I cannot get my head down and to the right fast enough, with some head tilting in there too. I have to mash my head down and into the stock as well as some head turning to get the right "picture". Easy to do on slower to moderate targets where there is plenty of time, but on a fast target it becomes real difficult to do all that and maintain focus on the bird. The gun is an XS citori, they have zero cast, I have mounted several Berettas and Perazzis that have some cast and it is much better but still not enough, still have to mash my head to get cast. The result is an inefficent mount that "wastes too much time" when the target is in the focus and kill zone.

The gun is on its way to Montana Custom Long Guns in Polson. I have spoke to Bob and Kelly as well as getting looked at by them at a shoot. I feel pretty confident that they understand the issue and they will be calling me before any work is done. They also glass bed the area after inletting to alleviate any cracking issues.

Thanks Rollin, excellent book BTW. I have the first edition and found it very valuable.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KRIEGHOFFK80 said:
Bryan,

Call this gunsmith! He bent the stock on my 687 Beretta to give me more cast.

Boulevard Custom Gun Smithing 2920 Niagara Falls Blvd, Buffalo, NY 14228-2020

p: (716) 695 3562
I remember that gun !!! The cast in that gun was real nice, but man, was that gun short!! LOL.

I actually forgot about that guy, the gun is on the way to Montana now.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rollin Oswald said:
Bryan,

Glad you liked the book.

I would be interested in hearing if Montana Custom is able to make your stock fit. It would surprise me if they can.

Email me at [email protected] and let me know, if you would.

Rollin
I'll let ya know.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got the gun back from Montana Custom Long Guns. The gun went out straight as an arrow and came back with 3/8" of cast off, this is exactly what I was looking for. Kelly did an excellent job and you can hardly tell any work was done !! The workmanship was exactly what I expected and then some.

The gun feels much better to mount now and I don't have to smash my head into the stock. I think this is going to work much better. I'll have to wait to get over to the gun club tomorrow and try it out on some targets.

Oh hell, I'm gonna go and pattern it in my back yard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.