Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard all the rumors of UPS not handling firearms anymore.Their website still shows that they still do. I want to send out a shotgun for repair to a licensee. Is all the talk just blather, or is there truth to this? I don't want to have my shotgun in UPS la la land, as I am supposed to declare it when shipping..

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just shipped a couple of rifles. You have to take it to a UPS hub (Not a UPS store - they will not deal with firearms at the UPS store). They usually want to see a copy of the FFL where you are sending it to match the address. It was business as usual at my UPS hub.

Actually, if you are shipping for repair, you do not need a copy of the FFL, but some UPS employees are not up to speed on the rules. You could probably drop it off at a UPS store, if you create the label yourself. If they create the label for you at the UPS store you would have to lie about it being a firearm, because the UPS store people will have a melt down if you say the word "GUN".

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Stop asking these kinds of questions on social media and you won't have to worry about false rumors.

It's pretty simple to receive an answer directly from UPS.

·
Registered
26,624 Posts
Read their tariff for what they require; it must go through a UPS center, not one of their franchise stores

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
If you're shipping to a Brick and Mortar Gun repair business , it's not required for them to send a FFL copy !
This business will also ship / return your gun to your place of residents ! Make sure you address the package
directly to this repair business !

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just used UPS at Bradley Airport, Hartford, easy. Lady just said, “rifle or shotgun, do you want insurance?” I asked how she knew, “look at that box, we didn’t start in business last week”. I told her I was told to just tools and just use a name, not “xxx gunsmith”. “We know”. Worked perfectly in both directions.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
My local UPS hub has a manager who's a card-carrying "anti" and constantly screwed with at least one, now out of business, LGS.

Soooo, I always print out the UPS requirements for shipping a firearm and take the printout with me and have had to show them what their rules are on more than one occasion. Also, on more than one occasion the "conversation" has gotten to the point where I've had to ask for the name and employee ID # for both the person I was dealing with directly and for whomever they were getting directions from in the back room.

I've had better luck with the USPS but even with them, I've had to breakout my printout of their rules.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Yes it can be difficult in this Chit-hole state ! But , staying within the rules is time savings by following
directions with USPS ,UPS or Fed Ex it's all there in black and white ! Purchasing a Gun from another
person in another state has its drawbacks but following ATF's rules makes it easy but costly !
Until we get rid of Newsom , as Liberals open their eyes , we have to stand our ground with bureaucracy !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ship UPS ground as it is a long gun, declare that it is a long gun and insure it for the value, if you do all of that you will eventually get reimbursed if any thing gets lost. you are covered because you followed their procedure.

DON'T go to the UPS/mail type stores as they are franchise type operation and won't ship firearms, You will have to find the UPS hub in your city. I always take a copy of the FFL that it is going to in case they ask.

FEDX is the same as far as process.

·
Registered
26,624 Posts
Ship UPS ground as it is a long gun, declare that it is a long gun and insure it for the value, if you do all of that you will eventually get reimbursed if any thing gets lost. you are covered because you followed their procedure.

DON'T go to the UPS/mail type stores as they are franchise type operation and won't ship firearms, You will have to find the UPS hub in your city. I always take a copy of the FFL that it is going to in case they ask.

FEDX is the same as far as process.
When they type in the delivery address, if it is a brick and mortar gunstore, they will know what it is.

Reactions: Ravenanme

·
Registered
26,624 Posts
Does anyone know if you can ship a handgun through UPS? Thinking about selling a couple.

It's not clear from their website, maybe I need to call.
I believe they will accept from a non-FFL, but you must pay for overnight, which is VERY costly; it is cheaper and easier to have a local FFL use USPS. Fedex will no longer accept firearms from non-FFLs

·
Registered
90 Posts
Instead of bringing your box to a UPS center, pay the extra seven dollars and have a driver pick it up at your house. The drivers are a lot less likely to ask any questions, and once the box is scanned and in the system it will get delivered. Pack it neatly so it doesn’t look like it will fall apart. If possible leave words like gun shop or arms out of the address.
of course you will need to measure, weigh and print your own label. That’s all easy.
I am a part-time dealer and ship guns pretty frequently. I’ve never had a problem doing it this way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have heard all the rumors of UPS not handling firearms anymore.Their website still shows that they still do. I want to send out a shotgun for repair to a licensee. Is all the talk just blather, or is there truth to this? I don't want to have my shotgun in UPS la la land, as I am supposed to declare it when shipping..
I shipped a gun back to Browning last week without any issues. When I dropped it off at the hub they didn't even ask any questions. Maybe because it already had a label? I have done this twice now and haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Instead of bringing your box to a UPS center, pay the extra seven dollars and have a driver pick it up at your house. The drivers are a lot less likely to ask any questions, and once the box is scanned and in the system it will get delivered. Pack it neatly so it doesn’t look like it will fall apart. If possible leave words like gun shop or arms out of the address.
of course you will need to measure, weigh and print your own label. That’s all easy.
I am a part-time dealer and ship guns pretty frequently. I’ve never had a problem doing it this way.
This is how I ship ammo, very convenient. Never done a long gun this way tho, I usually do the post office.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I shipped a gun back to Browning last week without any issues. When I dropped it off at the hub they didn't even ask any questions. Maybe because it already had a label? I have done this twice now and haven't had any issues.
I've done this with sending guns back to makers or for warranty service when I have pre-paid labels (they always seem to be UPS). I actually drop them off at the nearest UPS store, they never ask so I don't tell :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have had good service shipping long guns with USPS Send it by registered mail. Also, USPS has a requirement to use paper tape when you tape the box. They use a marker on all seams and the marker will not adhere to plastic tape. It's been a while since I shipped a gun but I believe this info is correct. Please correct me if the USPS rules have changed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have had good service shipping long guns with USPS Send it by registered mail. Also, USPS has a requirement to use paper tape when you tape the box. They use a marker on all seams and the marker will not adhere to plastic tape. It's been a while since I shipped a gun but I believe this info is correct. Please correct me if the USPS rules have changed.
I don’t think I’ve ever used paper tape before and I’ve shipped through USPS several times in recent years.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts