Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried one of these things? I wish I knew the brand name. They are basically built like an automotive shock absorber with a spring assembly in a tube and fit inside the butt stock.

ES

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
I think you are referring to the "dead mule" reducers. I don't own one, but I've shot with them a few times... takes a little getting used to (Twaaaannnnggggg right next to your ear), but it really does work.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Winchester made a recoil system for the Model 12 that employed a piston in a two piece stock. It was called the Hydro-Coil.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Ezra,

The units you are describing, the ones that snug up into the stock bolt hole, have been around for a long time. There are several different types. Some work with mercury and some with a piston and spring. They work, but not nearly as well as the advertising would lead you to beleive. In most cases you would reduce just as much recoil simply by adding weight to the stock. So before spending $50-$75 on one of these, try stuffing 8oz of shot in a baggie and wedge that into the bolt hole.

A step up (a big step) would be the installation of a Graco or even better, a RAD unit. These require cutting the stock and inletting for the installation of the unit and cost upwards to $450 for the RAD units. Some sliding comb models are a lot more than that. However, they dramatically reduce recoil.

Here's a link to one of the best gunsmiths in the country who installs RAD and other units:

www.greghissemstockworks.com

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have a Gracoil (US made?) and an ISIS which is made over here and both are excellent. I would suggest these devices are well worth investing in if you shoot a lot. My regular gun is a heavy 682 E with an ISIS fitted and when I shoot similar guns with a plain pad the difference is VERY obvious.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I vote for the Limbsaver recoil pad. It made such a difference in my new shotgun that if I hadn't shot it before and after, I wouldn't have believed it! They are that good. They also are designed to lessen muzzle jump. You just have to experience the difference to believe it. Also, I ordered mine with my computer and it was at my door in THREE days! That is service.

·
Registered
653 Posts
yansica1 said:
I have a Gracoil (US made?) and an ISIS which is made over here and both are excellent. I would suggest these devices are well worth investing in if you shoot a lot. My regular gun is a heavy 682 E with an ISIS fitted and when I shoot similar guns with a plain pad the difference is VERY obvious.
I'm very tempted to put the ISIS on my Silver Pigeon, I talked to the bloke at ISIS a few weeks ago and it did seem quite impressive.

I've never actually seen one in use. So you think its as good as advertised to be ? I know the ISIS is expensive.

Which do you prefer out of the ISIS and the Gracoil ?

Leeboy

·
Registered
860 Posts
Leeboy said:
yansica1 said:
I'm very tempted to put the ISIS on my Silver Pigeon, I talked to the bloke at ISIS a few weeks ago and it did seem quite impressive.

I've never actually seen one in use. So you think its as good as advertised to be ? I know the ISIS is expensive.

Which do you prefer out of the ISIS and the Gracoil ?

Leeboy
Hi Leeboy,

The difference is THAT obvious. Dave Izzard talked me out of having a Sorbothane pad fitted at the same time as the ISIS, maintaining that it worked better with a hard pad. I wish I had gone with my instinct because it IS better to have a Sorbothane and ISIS together. I have a hard rubber on mine and when I fit a Sorbothane, it is better still, only I can`t be bothered to send the Sorbothane away for proper fitting!!
Dave must agree as he has now started to market a soft pad to go with his ISIS!!

The Gracoil can be had fully adjustable including LOP, and compression. On that basis only, I would go for the Gracoil but they are harder to source. There must be dozens of guys around your patch with these things on; I am sure they`d be delighted to let you try. I can fire 400 on a Sunday before falling asleep :lol: :D .
Before I almost always got a headache by the 200 mark.

ps. I paid around the £300 mark including fitting.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There are a couple of other systems that replace the entire stock. One is made by Mesa Tactical and the other by Knoxx stocks. They work very well but they are more for tactical use. I think Knoxx makes a "normal" looking one too.
Keep yer powder dry, Mac
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All
Mac's Shooting' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com

·
Registered
641 Posts
They all work to some extent to "reduce" felt recoil. I like Graco best of all the mechanical devices but have used a number of alternates.

But.....................

If you want to ELIMINATE recoil then go with a PFS. Hands down the best, period. We put one on my son's gun mostly to accomodate his growth and wanted the advantage of stock adjustability and we knew the recoil device was good but not THAT good - the PFS is simply awesome.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Sorry, what is a PFS?

Cameron

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
No doubt about it, PFS works the best, period. They are pricey for most shooters on this site and they also are rather ugly (and that's putting it mildly). However, if you want the best in adjustability and the best in recoil reduction, PFS is the ultimate way to go.

As to the Gracoil types, I think the RAD units are a bit better. They come in several different variations. Look at them on Hissem's site.

·
Registered
641 Posts
A PFS ugly??

Well we just put one on my son's Perazzi and it looks awesome.

Took off a spectacular piece of wood too.

It all depends on what you want/need. We prefer utiility at this stage of my son's growth so beauty will have to wait a bit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.