Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there,
I'd like to by a new gun for clays.I have a Browning XS skeet 28" barrels.Is necessary to have 32" barrels now for all round clay shooting and some upland hunting ?Can I by 4" barrel extensions and gain the same atvantage as have a 32" barrel.

bfes275

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I think you will find the 32" barrels to be a bit long for upland hunting. If you shoot well with 28" barrels, then don't change.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
I agree completely with Txgolfer. Although 32" barrels are fashionable right now in some circles, there is nothing wrong with 28" barrels for clays, and 28" is probably better than 32" for upland hunting.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Question 1: are 32s necessary for clays? Big fat NOPE.

Question 2: are 32s necessary for upland (your question): Bigger, fatter NOPE.

Question 3: (actually a more proper and to the point than your #2) are 32s even functional for upland, much less desirable? Functional--maybe. Desirable--definitely not.

Question 4: why do you want a new barrel length? If you shoot a 28 well, stick with it. If you MUST go longer and you must use the same gun for upland and clays, then go no longer than 30. My upland gun has 27.5 barrels on it and my competition gun has 29.5s.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
25 years ago, you 'couldn't' shoot skeet if you shot with a barrel longer than 26". Or at least so the 'pro's' would tell you. Now most skeeters are shooting with 30" barrels and longer.

Trap shooters were 'happy' with 30" barrels. I've seen some 36" jobs at the Grand though.

Sporting Clays began as a game for hunters to practice their skills. You shot what you brought. Now you see mostly 30 and 32" barrels abounding on the SC Fields.

Trouble is, they are all right and they are all wrong as well. They are right in that the particular barrel length that a shooter uses is 'right' for them. But they are wrong for exactly the same reason.

The short of it is that what the others have said is correct; if 28" (or 24" or 36" or whatever length) barrels are what you shoot and what you shoot well, that length barrel is probably what you should shoot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would not buy a longer barrel. I would save your money and buy shells and clays.

Claybuster :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
I shoot an XS Skeet with 30 inch barrels for skeet. I wanted 28s but settled for what was available. For sporting clays, I use a 28 inch barrel field model O/U and shoot low gun. I don't compete, I just shoot clays to keep me in good shape for hunting. I would feel right at home at the sporting clays range I frequent with a 28 in XS Skeet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts