Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting trap with my field gun - a Browning BPS 20 gauge w/ 26" barrels. I do pretty well - but there is always room for improvement - I hit 40-50%. I'm thinking about getting a second gun for trap and use the Browning for hunting. In part because the BPS isn't the easiest to load a single shell. Would using a different gun for trap then switching over improve my shooting? Or could it just throw me off? I'll probably hunt once/twice a year but shoot trap at least monthly. Any thoughts/advice? Am I right that pumps & semi-autos are frowned upon on trap ranges?

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
pumps certainly aren't a problem, but an auto slinging shells near/on the next shooter is severly frowned upon. but--several ways to stop that.

a trapgun certainly can be an improvement, you could also do most of the mods to your gun for trap but.........................you need another anyway, don't you :wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like that the BPS ejects shells straight down. Maybe its just an excuse for another shotgun! Now I have to figure out which one....considering another Browning - maybe an O/U or a single shot trap. Suggestions for under $1500-$2000?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
You can pick up a BT-99 for around 700 bucks or try a Citori for around $1200.With the Citori you could shoot double trap.I saw a used Citori trap model for sale the other day--can't remember which magazine it was in :oops:

·
Banned
473 Posts
A new BT99 is about $1200. A new Remington 1100 Trap is about $750. A shell catcher is $10. Either gun would work.... of course if you get into doubles, the 1100 just might work better, LOL. Even without the shell catcher, the 1100 drops the empties only two feet away and does not pelter the next shooter.

Just be very carefull buying a used trap gun. Few gun are are modified as much as trapguns. Some mods are OK and some are terribly performed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies & suggestions/advice. Finding a well-stocked dealer (new or used) in the New York City area can be challenging. When I can find a shop to compare a few trap or O/U's it will help make the decision whether or not to purchase and, if so, which is best. Till then my BPS is a great shot!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.